Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about Squier Jazz

T-Bay

15 hours ago, T-Bay said:

The neck feels very nice, not as perfect a profile as the Thunderbird but that’s a personal preference, it also feels about 15cm shorter.

This has been my experience of owning a combination of Fender-style and Gibson-style basses. I think it's something about the way they sit on the strap, but with my various Precision-type basses, I've got used to the 12th fret being quite close to my torso; with my (long-scale) SG and Thunderbird, the 12th fret seems to be three feet away, and the headstock is at risk of knocking people's drinks off the venue bar! It takes a little getting used to, but I've never found it too disconcerting, and if you're going from Gibson to Fender then you'll probably find it easier to deal with (I went the other way).

Glad to hear you're happy with the new arrival, in any case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

SG and Thunderbird, the 12th fret seems to be three feet away, and the headstock is at risk of knocking people's drinks off the venue bar!

Their Flying V guitars are no better

image.jpeg.ec56300a5718e14285833ce5392b60eb.jpeg

Edited by MoJo

I have had more time to play around with it and am enjoying more and more. The bottom end deficit compared to the T-bird is there but not frustratingly so and the boost on the D and G strings is very enjoyable. I have also given it a clean and started to look at some of the minor issues it has. The pick guard is a cheap two,ply one that fits badly and has been butchered so another (cheap] one is on order. The control plate doesn’t sit flat due to it and then someone has then tried to tighten up the screws and damaged one of the holes so that has been repaired with the old glue and matchstick trick. The control panel doesn’t look like a standard Squier one but I could be wrong, it looks aftermarket and quite nice. The decal has been swapped to a Fender one on the front, but the small Fender logo is still there so not the affinity range. SN is still on the back but I have drawn a blank trying to find out what it was originally. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. It doesn’t really matter but I like to know these things.446B8F10-1130-48DD-AE91-7FD204639C97.thumb.jpeg.7980860d7bf6a015c69065b67872ed5b.jpegFC135563-A05A-4E5B-969B-7F3EC45DF4C1.thumb.jpeg.d3c54971f35f110e1fc046f64f4c2891.jpeg65EDED6B-7EDC-4956-860B-E944192BAD22.thumb.jpeg.43a547ab0b748e1f815efa6985d9eb0c.jpeg

Thanks, I know it was Indonesian made in 2009 but can’t find a way to determine what model it would have been. I guess someone has thrown some money at it at some point. The earths aren’t properly soldered though so that, and some tidying, needs doing.