Why become a member? ×

P Bass- F at 10th Fret on the G string weird resonance issue?

yorks5stringer

Just been learning 'Just the 2 of Us' (Bill Withers played by Marcus Miller) . On the intro one plays the opening figure up the neck and finishes the riff on an F, 10th fret on the G string.

On the F I'm getting weird overtones, almost like too much sustain leading to feedback. Similarly on the E, a semitone below there's a weird doppler effect as the note seems to vary on and off the tone.

Using same  newish flat wounds as on other P Basses but never had this issue before. Anyone got any ideas what could be the issue please? I've adjusted the pickup height to no discernible difference to the overtone/feedback.  Action is not stupidly low and there are no weird tones when played acoustically..... I've tried damping the other strings to rule them out picking up resonance from the G.

Any tonal detectives out there?

45 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Maybe an odd standing wave in your room? Does it do this everywhere?

Testing in a different room is a good idea. I had a wierd string resonance issue that was eventually tracked down to sympathetic vibrations from a glass cabincet in the corner of the room. Another common culprit for wierd notes is a twisted string (can happen when installing new strings if you're not careful).

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1