Why become a member? ×

Can anyone please explain...

JohnSlade07

the concept behind playing "strong/important" notes on the 1st and 3rd beats of a standard walking bass line? For example does this mean that on the 1st and 3rd beats you might play the 1st, 3rd or fifth of the chord? What do you play in between? Other chord notes, chromatic notes, notes from the scale etc. Help!

[quote name='JohnSlade07' post='35810' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:40 AM']Thanks for that Mikey.

So if I was playing over Dm7 - G7 I might play something like D, E, F, E durig the first bar and G, E, D, B during the 2nd?[/quote]
Technically yes, but probably not as it doesn't create a good musical line really and that should be your aim. But as you are still learning there are many exercises you can do.

I found this sheet on the internet a while ago, I think you may find it useful. Just work on each concept/idea one at a time just between two chords at first, and try to find every single possible way of getting from one to the other on every part of your bass. Then eventually start playing longer sequences of chord, then start mixing up the ideas, before you know it you will have some hip sounding lines and really know what you are doing. Not only that, but your knowledge of notes on the neck will be better than ever.

• 1 month later...

I reckon one good fun way of really developing your bassline skills would be to buy one of the ultimate little fakebooks. These just feature the core melody line, be it vocal, piano or other instrument and list the chord changes, giving you the chance to work on the bass lines.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Fake-Book-C-Books/dp/0793529395/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-4158770-2670030?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188587413&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Fake-Book...7413&sr=8-1[/url]