Why become a member? ×

Getting my bass serviced.

M4L666

Hi dudes.
I have had my bass for over 3 years now and have never even changed the factory strings. I am wanting to service it as the strings are dead, the action is not great and I just want to get it all cleaned. Does anyone have any tips? I know how to do everything, but I am nervous about action/truss rod adjustments etc. and I don't really trust myself to do it properly. It [i]will[/i] be a learning experience, but also may f*ck up my bass big time...

Edited by M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='341286' date='Nov 30 2008, 06:20 PM']Hi dudes.
I have had my bass for over 3 years now and have never even changed the factory strings. I am wanting to service it as the strings are dead, the action is not great and I just want to get it all cleaned. Does anyone have any tips? I know how to do everything, but I am nervous about action/truss rod adjustments etc. and I don't really trust myself to do it properly. It [i]will[/i] be a learning experience, but also may f*ck up my bass big time...[/quote]

Any bass player worth his (or her) salt should be able to do their own basic setup. There's LOTS of advice on this site and elsewhere on the web. The trussrod thing - be sure you need to adjust it (hold down at the first fret and as near to the last as you can and check the clearance at the 12th - there should *just* be some) at all first, then make no more than a quarter turn at a time then leave for hours to settle.

Regarding cleaning, use a proper guitar cleaner - not Mr. Sheen :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='341291' date='Nov 30 2008, 06:27 PM']Any bass player worth his (or her) salt should be able to do their own basic setup. There's LOTS of advice on this site and elsewhere on the web. The trussrod thing - be sure you need to adjust it (hold down at the first fret and as near to the last as you can and check the clearance at the 12th - there should *just* be some) at all first, then make no more than a quarter turn at a time then leave for hours to settle.

Regarding cleaning, use a proper guitar cleaner - not Mr. Sheen :)[/quote]

Thanks mate. I have read up on fretcare. Can you put beeswax on any wood?

The fender specs are a good place to start
[url="http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php"]http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php[/url]
especially if you have a Fender.

None of this stuff is hard if you have the right tools, basic diy skills and really take your time.
It's very satisfying to learn these skills.

Regarding the the truss rod make sure you use the correct size allen key/ hex nut adjuster,depending on what make of bass you have. Slacken the strings first IF it needs adjusting. By the way you normally stick a capo on the 1st fret hold down the string at the top fret and measure the clearance at the 7th or 8th fret not the 12th as someone else advised. Check the factory specs for your bass

If it's really tight or you have any doubts about your confidence to do this don't. Get someone who knows what they're doing to help. I would but I'm a bit to far away!

Edited by lonestar

I had the same reservations about set ups but finally took the plunge a few months ago. I thought it would be worth learning how to do it rather than shelling out £30 + for something that I was sure was within my capabilities.

With truss rod adjustments just make quarter turns at a time and make sure that the allan key (if that is what your bass is adjusted with) is sat squarely in the socket to avoid rounding it off. The creaking noise the wood makes can be a bit scary at first but it can also help you to not be too heavy handed.

It's a case of trial and error, you make an adjustment and it feels ok, then once evrything has settled it can feel totally different and you need to reverse what you have done. All adds to the confidence building though. My bass is now set up just right for me and I've no qualms about getting stuck in.

good luck
Craig