Why become a member? ×

Hello from S. Yorks

ziggenpuss

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and finally decide to join this fantastic community.
A bit about me- I'm 39, male, and currently livining in Rotherham S.Yorkshire.
I started playing guitar at 17 and joined a punk/new wave type band a year after playing original stuff with heavy influences from The Jam, The Clash, Elvis Costello etc.
Problem with the band was- no bass player! So, as the least able guitarist I was 'volunteered' for the duties. Not a happy bunny at first but after nailing a few of Foxton's line, Start, Down in the tube station, In the city and getting into Reggae via The Clash I became a proud plucker of the fat four!
My musical tastes are very eclectic and I apreciate most stuff except plastic Stock Aitkin & Waterman/X factor type tripe.
I've had quite a long tea break from playing and not played live for 15 years or so. In the interim I bought a Peavy Milestone III and a Carlsbro Baseline 55 to plonk about on at home.
A few months ago I decided to get back into it and start playing again so I bought myself a Squire VMJ, now I've never owned anything 'high end' so I can't really compare but to me it's the mutt's nuts. I've got my passion back for playing again and will hopefully look for a covers band next year when I've got round to getting a decent rig.
I've learned so much already from the knowledgable folks on this site and I hope to chip in now & again.
Cheers
Craig

Edited by ziggenpuss

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Eyup Monz, Barnsley lad eh? I'm originally a Dee-Dah, (for those not familiar with the rare languages of the North, that's what Barnsley folk call Sheffielders 'cos of how we speak -as in "Nah den, dee, dah Ba****d"-translation " I say, you there you person of questionable parentage)

Dr. Dave, Rudis is my usual chioce of watering hole on the rare occasions when me and the Mrs get out, shift work being the bugger that it is plus the current economic squeeze etc but I'll come and say hello if I manage to make it. Have you played at Rudi's before? It's not very big (ooh err Mrs) but there's usually a good crowd of decent people in there. The Chav brigade seem to give it a miss and head further up the road.
I'm usually in early when the bands are setting up and sound checking 'cos half of the evenings entertainment is watching Joe the sound man annoying the f**k out of the bands! Never heard him produce a bad front of house sound yet though, knows his onions, the lad.
Saw Twin Lizzy there a few weeks back and he was a bit reluctant to give up his position to their own sound guy, thought it was gonna end in tears.

[i]our blues rock band supporting our ZZ Top trib - come see us![/i]

Which ZZ Top tribute band is that? I had The Fandango Brothers (from Doncaster I think, not that far away) booked for my 40th in February, but they broke down on the way! (Long story, but I ended up playing guitar for the makeshift band at my own birthday party...)

Then I saw them at the Colne Blues Festival and it was announced that that was their last ever gig! Their bass player's now playing with (so to speak) northern blues girl Chantel McGregor...

My ZZ trib's called ZZ Eliminator - played once at Rudi's before , but only as our alter-ego's Dr Blue. I do remember the manic sound man - doesn't he own the joint? He got a sad on when I wouldn't use his mic cos it smelled of camel breath.

I know the Fandango Bros - or at least I saw them , and I used to jam with Chantelle at a jam night when she was a kid. She's about 20 now I think , still the same overbearing parents cramping her style but she's very talented. She did a solo spot supporting us in Skipton a few months back.

Colne's a great weekend - though on the slide I hear. Done it tons of times , last twice at the Pendle Leisure Centre venue.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ziggenpuss' post='341204' date='Nov 30 2008, 04:13 PM']Dr. Dave, Rudis is my usual chioce of watering hole on the rare occasions when me and the Mrs get out, shift work being the bugger that it is plus the current economic squeeze etc but I'll come and say hello if I manage to make it.[/quote]

He did too , with Mrs Ziggenpuss. Nice to meet you , mate - and thanks for the Rustic Robin or whatever it was called!!

Hope you didn't think me too much of a misery talking to you for 5 mins then vanishing like some big shot. Got the call to get ready etc and had to go.

Not the best attended I've seen Rudi's - Hey Ho. I thought our Doc B support outstripped our ZZ trib too. Been a few weeks since we Eliminated and couldn't quite get it going properly.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='355188' date='Dec 15 2008, 05:00 PM']He did too , with Mrs Ziggenpuss. Nice to meet you , mate - and thanks for the Rustic Robin or whatever it was called!!

Hope you didn't think me too much of a misery talking to you for 5 mins then vanishing like some big shot. Got the call to get ready etc and had to go.

Not the best attended I've seen Rudi's - Hey Ho. I thought our Doc B support outstripped our ZZ trib too. Been a few weeks since we Eliminated and couldn't quite get it going properly.[/quote]

Nice to meet you too Dave and we had an excellent night despite the low turn out, pre-xmas slump and all that I suppose.

Loved both Dr Blue and ZZ Eliminator, you lads are quality musicians and put on a great show. It's been a while since I've seen a band that have the kind of banter between the band that you do, they normally just mumble the song name and get on with it. I'm still chuckling about the jazz chord joke, must be the way you tell em. Even Joe the sound man was smiling, [i][/i]never[i][/i] seen that before!

I'll definitely come and see you again when you're at Rudi's and we'll have a longer chat now I can tell the difference between you and Rod :)

Best wishes
Craig