Why become a member? ×

If only I could find this BB King gig to buy on DVD

Huge Hands

When I was about 12, I used to watch a blues tape (no snickering, I said [b]blues[/b] tape!) that my dad had recorded off the TV.

I fast forwarded to the end once and found half a BB King gig that he'd recorded over from Channel 4. It must have been recorded around when we had our first "top loader" VHS deck and when C4 first started.

It was called "The Forum Presents: BB King".

The music was an epiphany to me, and I loved the bass player, Russell Jackson. I reckon his playing is the main reason I decided to take up the bass. I have played this section of tape over and over for the last 20 years, and it is all worn out, especially now it is trapped and chewed up in a knackered machine.

I have spent the last few years trawling the net to see if I can find it available to buy. I can't. :)

I have since found a solitary section of it on You Tube: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdT57QQTEE&feature=related"]Youtube Link[/url]

The quality is a bit poor (looks like it's been recorded off my tape!) and as it's a slowy, isn't the best example of Russell's playing, but there's still loads of feel. For you hardware gurus, he plays a sparkly red P-J with a cover over the P pickup and he has another jazz pup tucked right against the base of the neck. If you look through You Tube, I think that's him on the Live Aid clips from 85 with a black version, same hardware layout.

The clip says it's 1978, but I have found this description of it that says it's 1980: [url="http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.200015538/default.html"]Library Listing[/url]

I have since found Russell's current website and myspace, but the myspace clips seem to centre around his slapping ability (which is very good). There is one track on the Forum gig where he demonstrates this and it fits really well, but I was always more interested in just his standard blues playing and feel.

If anyone has any ideas on how I could get a copy of this gig, I'd be really appreciative. I've never seen the first half hour, and would love of have another copy of it.

It's worth it just to see the brass leader's orange suit and gold shoes again.

My investigations have also led me to believe that may be Jabo Starks (ex James Brown) on drums as well.

Amazing.

Edited by Huge Hands

The amazing Russell Jackson played with BB King from approx 1978 to 1984. The drummer during that time was, and is still, Calep Emphrey Jnr, although I saw BB King in the early 80's with a Paul Jackson on drums. There is a CD's of that line up playing at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Could even be a DVD I think!

Have you heard BB King's Blues Summit CD and DVD (early 1990's), with Michael Doster on bass? It mostly features the road band backing BB King and a who's who of the best blues singers around at the time. I think it's one of BB's best.

Russell Jackson was the first person I saw (1983 ish) playing with Bartolini pickups in his P bass. I put a set on my P bass right after that and haven't looked back!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='341601' date='Dec 1 2008, 01:48 AM']....If you like your slapping, enjoy....[/quote]
Great "old school" slap, not that precise, clinical, modern twangy stuff!!

[quote]....Russell Jackson was the first person I saw (1983 ish) playing with Bartolini pickups in his P bass. I put a set on my P bass right after that....[/quote]
That's the bass I mentioned earlier, with the added Bartolini Jazz pickups.