Why become a member? ×

EHX Hotwax

Rollin Thunder

Just purchased one of these at the weekend, very impressed. It is two different distortion channels, Hot tubes and Crayon but its more like l 4 pedals in one. great smooth drive on hot tube all the way up to 12 o clock and no loss of low end at all, not even touched the blend nob.  up to 2pm and still only some eq  to boost the bass a bit. best tube simulation i have ever played really good organic sound. 

Crayon is a nice smooth range of overdrive and again no blend needed much up to 12pm. gets a bit fizzy on loss a bit of low end on higher gain settings but not had to go beyond 50/50 mix as yet.

Bang them both on at once and the hot tube drives the crayon. this is when things get a bit crazy and i did need some blend, but again on down to 50/50 at pretty harsh settings.

Either side can be used as a clean boost full blend and 8-9pm gain. or gain all the way down completely.

If it had a mids control as well as the bass and treble would also make a great pre amp. this certainly looks like my always on pedal from now on instead of my MXR M80

At  just under£110 cannot recommend this enough, everything from mild boost mild tubey /grit to full on distortion and all the controls for flexibility you need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daz39 said:

I've lusted after one of these for ages - seems a fairly simple 2 drive option (compared to some of the crazy pedals out there).

I Was saving for a Darkglass vintage ultra, but not now, was hoping this would do a job, but got much much more than i expected. the sound quality is amazing really natural organic warm analogue sound. i'd go for it really good value.