Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SCR-DI BF FR800 Question

itsmedunc

I've just got an Ampeg SCR-Di and have had it running from the DI out straight into a BF FR800. Sounds great, more than great, brilliant isn't enough! I've just got to be careful to make sure the Ampeg is turned on and turned down before switching the BF on (BF has no volume control). This might be a silly question but I'd like to be 100% sure I'm right in thinking that - I could run the XLR DI to a PA and  (now the real question) - run a 1/4" jack from the Ampeg line out straight to the FR800? I can't see why the jack won't be ok but just to be sure, I'm seeking a bit of advice from the knowledgeable before trying it out. 😀

Cheers in advance.

1 hour ago, itsmedunc said:

I've just got an Ampeg SCR-Di and have had it running from the DI out straight into a BF FR800. Sounds great, more than great, brilliant isn't enough! I've just got to be careful to make sure the Ampeg is turned on and turned down before switching the BF on (BF has no volume control). This might be a silly question but I'd like to be 100% sure I'm right in thinking that - I could run the XLR DI to a PA and  (now the real question) - run a 1/4" jack from the Ampeg line out straight to the FR800? I can't see why the jack won't be ok but just to be sure, I'm seeking a bit of advice from the knowledgeable before trying it out. 😀

Cheers in advance.

Yup, that's fine, it will work. The only downside is that the volume will adjust both the PA and the FR800 at the same time. It's one of the reasons I wished that the FR had an input gain control of it's own. Better still, (and you've seen it here first) a volume control that can be reached from the front of the cabinet! I would envisage that would be a huge cost over head with creating a new grill with a cut out for an inset, front mounted level control. Could be handy though for fast tweaks. 

3 hours ago, Dood said:

Yup, that's fine, it will work. The only downside is that the volume will adjust both the PA and the FR800 at the same time. It's one of the reasons I wished that the FR had an input gain control of it's own. Better still, (and you've seen it here first) a volume control that can be reached from the front of the cabinet! I would envisage that would be a huge cost over head with creating a new grill with a cut out for an inset, front mounted level control. Could be handy though for fast tweaks. 

Thanks for clearing that one up! I suspected that the line and XLR would be connected. Ummm bit of a bummer. I don't fancy having to take a laptop around with it to adjust the gains either. Looks like it's a small mixer between the Ampeg and FR then that I need then. More money needed! :lol: Thanks again.