Why become a member? ×

MM USA SUB. Anyone know what's under the paint?

leschirons

6 hours ago, Twincam said:

Here is exactly what could be under there. These are the poplar sub bodies from the usa factory, taken in 2004. Note the different coloured wood one at the top. That's not one half stained or anything that's literally two very different shades together. The rest in the pile are not great either.

P4200026.jpg

This was one of the cost saving measures along with the textured finish that didn't need much finishing work (if any), and the non mm stamped bridge and the use of ping non branded tuners which are the company that make the mm stamped grover tuners. Unfortunately the cost cutting measures didn't work and they had to stop production of that bass. 

Ah well found - I think that's the one I'm thinking - I think mine must have an even darker piece than that!!

One of the major cost cutting elements was not doing the hand sanding and finishing of the necks - I don't think the edges are rolled either - that said they feel quite adequate, indeed fine. It was suggested at the time that they were that good that they were affecting sales of full fat Stingrays. 

On 08/09/2018 at 06:32, Twincam said:

Here is exactly what could be under there. These are the poplar sub bodies from the usa factory, taken in 2004. Note the different coloured wood one at the top. That's not one half stained or anything that's literally two very different shades together. The rest in the pile are not great either.

P4200026.jpg

This was one of the cost saving measures along with the textured finish that didn't need much finishing work (if any), and the non mm stamped bridge and the use of ping non branded tuners which are the company that make the mm stamped grover tuners. Unfortunately the cost cutting measures didn't work and they had to stop production of that bass. 

Thanks Twincam. This has definitely made up my mind to leave it unmolested😂