Why become a member? ×

Advice on stripping a body

Beedster

Hi folks
I've stripped a few bodies in the past; the first I did using sandpaper and it took a few weeks, the second I did using an electric sander and it took a few hours, the last couple I did I used Nitromors, and they took a few minutes. The latter approach seems preferable but I was told recently by someone qualified to have an opinion that Nitromors should not be used on guitars. Problem is, I can't remember his rationale, it may have been because it damages the wood, or because it makes refinishing the instrument harder, but he seemed quite dogmatic on the issue (of course, it's possible that as someone who makes a living refinishing guitars he simply doesn't want chaps like me DIYing it :) ).
Any advice/experience/observations would be greatly appreciated
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='340379' date='Nov 29 2008, 11:33 AM']Hi folks
I've stripped a few bodies in the past; the first I did using sandpaper and it took a few weeks, the second I did using an electric sander and it took a few hours, the last couple I did I used Nitromors, and they took a few minutes. The latter approach seems preferable but I was told recently by someone qualified to have an opinion that Nitromors should not be used on guitars. Problem is, I can't remember his rationale, it may have been because it damages the wood, or because it makes refinishing the instrument harder, but he seemed quite dogmatic on the issue (of course, it's possible that as someone who makes a living refinishing guitars he simply doesn't want chaps like me DIYing it :) ).
Any advice/experience/observations would be greatly appreciated
Chris[/quote]

Nitromors (no 'e'! LEWIS!!!!) can cause problems once you're down to bare wood it soaks in a lot deeper than you'd think and may cause discolouration. Whether this is a result of chemical reaction to other stuff in the wood or just the deep cleaning power of the N I don't know. I've used it to take off thinly applied shellac but not so far to remove nitrocellulose paints - its in this area I think problems lie.

I'm still on a learning curve. [url="http://www.reranch.com/101.htm"]This[/url] has been incredibly useful so far, hope it helps

ttfn

Ian

Edited by planethead

[quote name='planethead' post='340401' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:15 PM']Nitromorse can cause problems once you're down to bare wood it soaks in a lot deeper than you'd think and may cause discolouration. Whether this is a result of chemical reaction to other stuff in the wood or just the deep cleaning power of the N I don't know. I've used it to take off thinly applied shellac but not so far to remove nitrocellulose paints - its in this area I think problems lie.

I'm still on a learning curve. [url="http://www.reranch.com/101.htm"]This[/url] has been incredibly useful so far, hope it helps

ttfn

Ian[/quote]

+1 on that.

Its also not wise to get the bare wood wet which you would have to do to wash the Nitromors off. Depending on the wood, water can damage the fibers. I would use a dry method to be on the safe side. If its the Early Precision you are doing I would use a belt sander on the flat bits carefully using 240 grade and stopping immediately when you hit bare wood anywhere and then by hand with a block sander. I use a Dremmel very carefully to get the awkward bits down a bit and then again by hand.

Nitromors will also attack any glue holding the body sections together.
if it's a fairly thin finish a cabinet scraper is quite useful but you need to be able to sharpen and file one first!

Wire wool and sander sound best bet to me. Besides what's the rush?
Take your time it'll be at thing to love and cherish for ever or until the next one anyway

Edited by lonestar

Here you go Chris
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22074&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22074&hl=[/url]

Good luck
Steve. :)
PS I forgot to put in the original thread that ater using the Nitromorse I cleaned the bass with virgin thinners (panel wipe) which you can get from any car paint suppliers, this removes any traces of Nitromorse and evaporates.

Edited by steve-soar