Why become a member? ×

Harmonics on a fretless.

TheGreek

Recently acquired a Spectorcore 4 fretless so I'm committed (well as I write anyway) to giving the fretless bass a PROPER go this time. I was watching a YT video lesson yesterday where somebody made reference to "drone notes" to check whether you're playing in tune. Knowing there are harmonics on a fretboard which could be used to do the same job, I was wondering whether more experienced fretless players use these to help staying in tune?

I found this "map" with natural harmonics: 

Picture

https://fretsource-guitar.weebly.com/natural-harmonics-map.html

Image result for bass harmonics chart

Edited by TheGreek

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

...I was wondering whether more experienced fretless players use these to help staying in tune?

Yes indeed (although less of the 'more experienced', please; folks'll be thinking I'm old or summit..!). I'm not much bothered about maps 'n stuff; to me, a passing harmonic will sound good if the intonation and fingering is good, but will sound 'off' if the fingering is duff, whatever the note being played. It becomes rather instinctive, I find, and is integrated into my choice of notes to play all the time, giving an 'individual' feel to the whole thing, whatever the piece being played.
Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, though..! :/