Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Fender P-Bass Fretless 1978
£1400

owentherozzers

FOR SALE: 1978 Fender P Bass Fretless w/OHSC

Selling my ’78 Fender P Fretless with maple neck, a fantastic instrument; old enough to own some Fender history but not so old you can’t gig it! This is a solid working bass that I bought from the USA about 4 years ago. I’m a Sting tribute act, so this was the nearest I could find to Sting’s fretless from his Police days. I’ve since bought a ‘natural’ ’78 fretless exactly as Sting’s, so this one has to go now. 

The Mocha finish was seen as undesirable for a long time and was soon discontinued by Fender. Oddly, 70’s Mocha Fenders are slowly becoming more collectable these days, owing to the fact that not many people bought them in the 70’s; they are now effectively rarer. This one was is such good condition, the (rare) maple neck looked barely played. I’ve had a set up done and new flat wounds every year for the last 4 years, its only ever gigged in theatres and been kept in a flightcase, so well cared for.

CONDITION: First thing to say is It’s all original, body, neck, hardware, pick ups and covers, pots, thumb rest, pickguard and case. Only thing I replaced was the input jack, (original one is included) quite normal for such an old bass. The pick up covers are missing their screws. Overall condition is very good, the neck almost looks like it just left the factory, perfect. There is some slight ‘bruising’ to the finish around the bridge caused by the outline of the ashtray cover and some pick marks on the top above the knobs (pictured). The volume knob is losing some finish. Only other points to note are a ‘shimmering’ effect on the back of the body (caused by the glue used on the case lining in the 70’s, meaning the guitar has spent most of its 40 years in the case) and the case itself has a broken handle, but really, who keeps a 40 year old instrument in a 40 year old case?! Any issues I’ve tried to capture in the photos.

There is an almost identical bass to this (a 1977, in Mocha but without original case) being sold at a well known UK guitar store for £1500. I believe my example is in much better condition, visually and cosmetically at least (I haven’t played the one in London to be fair) so on this basis I’m asking what I’d consider to be a very fair price of £1400 ONO for this.

Any questions please ask. Collection from North Yorkshire or I’ll drive reasonable distance to meet. You’re more than welcome to come and give it a try, I’ll make you a brew. 

Sorry, not looking for trades unless you happen to have a Stingray in natural or a 70's Jazz.

Thanks for looking!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG