Why become a member? ×

Wipe-On Poly Recommendations

Dubs

Looking for recommendations for the best wipe-on polyurethane clear gloss finish to use over the top of a stained ash body.

Any tips on how to best apply based on personal experience also greatly appreciated!

Cheers

4 hours ago, Dubs said:

Looking for recommendations for the best wipe-on polyurethane clear gloss finish to use over the top of a stained ash body.

Any tips on how to best apply based on personal experience also greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hi

Yes - I've done a few.

This tutorial I did on ProjectGuitar covers quite a bit of it (I think it allows none members to see but let me know if not) http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/finishingrefinishing/bedroom-builders-wipe-on-varnishing-r67/

The only things I would change - because since that article Ronseal Hardglaze (if you used that) has had a formulation change - are

• with the new formula, I would thin it a lot less - more like 10% rather than 30-50%
  • I have started using the lint-free white polishing cloths from Halfords - the micro-fibre cloths are OK but the new formulation of Ronseal doesn't level as well and the texture can leave wipe-lines

Of course, you might be using something else.  The principles will be the same - just do a few trials to get the best proportions of varnish to thinners.

Just shout if you want any pointers along the way

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:10, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi

Yes - I've done a few.

This tutorial I did on ProjectGuitar covers quite a bit of it (I think it allows none members to see but let me know if not) http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/finishingrefinishing/bedroom-builders-wipe-on-varnishing-r67/

The only things I would change - because since that article Ronseal Hardglaze (if you used that) has had a formulation change - are

• with the new formula, I would thin it a lot less - more like 10% rather than 30-50%
  • I have started using the lint-free white polishing cloths from Halfords - the micro-fibre cloths are OK but the new formulation of Ronseal doesn't level as well and the texture can leave wipe-lines

Of course, you might be using something else.  The principles will be the same - just do a few trials to get the best proportions of varnish to thinners.

Just shout if you want any pointers along the way

Andy

Hi Andy, 

Just about to start a new Bitsa project and I wish to wipe-on gloss varnish to the Head, front & back of the neck. The neck I have purchased is a maple, satin finished J neck from K***e in China. What hard glaze wipe-on would you recommend to achieve a good covering of the water slide decal on the head? Do I need to mask off the frets when applying the gloss varnish to the fret board or is best to just gloss varnish the face of the Head as the MIM Fender jazz necks? 

34 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Hi Andy, 

Just about to start a new Bitsa project and I wish to wipe-on gloss varnish to the Head, front & back of the neck. The neck I have purchased is a maple, satin finished J neck from K***e in China. What hard glaze wipe-on would you recommend to achieve a good covering of the water slide decal on the head? Do I need to mask off the frets when applying the gloss varnish to the fret board or is best to just gloss varnish the face of the Head as the MIM Fender jazz necks? 

Hi, John

Always test first, but I've found the Ronseal Hardglaze (not Diamond Glaze which is their more available but quite problematic acrylic based (?) product) works absolutely fine on waterslides.

To be honest, I never gloss the fretboards so I probably am not the best person to ask.  However, masking frets would seem to be a pretty impossible thing to do so I would have thought that spraying and then scraping the varnish off after drying would be a more common way of doing it.

Hope this helps

Andy