Why become a member? ×

Only Buzz - No Sound

nerminater

Hope this is ok here couldn't see a troubleshooting forum. 

You could say I'm a newbie which explains my naivety in this area. 

Had this Jack Casady  couple of years now and a fender rumble 75 about three. Just like learning riffs at home so nothing serious. Anyway, kit was fine the other day until I had a break, then when I came  back to it literally 5 mins later I couldn't get any guitar out of the amp only really loud buzzing even at relatively low volume settings. So I thought lead. Tried another lead, still the same. Tried the Ibanez AE8, nothing. Tried an ampjack, still the same, nothing no buzzing though. So removed the Epiphone's jack socket and all appeared good. 

That's where I'm stumped. How can it be the amp when it's the same with the ampjack? How can it be the guitar when it's the same with another?

Can anyone help? Preferably from experience.

Cheers.

Edited by nerminater

So just for clarity, you had two guitars, two leads and two amplifiers? Personally not sure what an ampjack is apart from a high voltage distribution system (that would really buzz).

I assume you don't get loud buzzing from the rumble if nothing is plugged in? If you plug a lead into the rumble and touch the other end of the lead (the centre not the outside, do you hear the hum when you do that? If so the amp is ok. 

Did the ibanez work before this event or hadn't you tried it for a while?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nerminater said:

...Can anyone help?...

We can work this out with a little more information. I'll assume that, by 'ampjack', you mean a Vox-type micro amp mounted on a jack plug. Using that assumption, then, we'll try being a bit systematic about this. Taking the following combinations, can you give the result of each, please..?

Casady  -Lead 1 - Amp = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Casady - Lead 1 - Ampjack = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Casady - Lead 2 - Amp = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Casady - Lead 2 - Ampjack = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Ibanez AE8 - Lead 1 - Amp = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Ibanez AE8 - Lead 1 - Ampjack = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Ibanez AE8 - Lead 2 - Amp = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Ibanez AE8 - Lead 2 - Ampjack = Buzz..? Silence..? Plays OK..?

Over to you ...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So just for clarity, you had two guitars, two leads and two amplifiers? Personally not sure what an ampjack is apart from a high voltage distribution system (that would really buzz).

I assume you don't get loud buzzing from the rumble if nothing is plugged in? If you plug a lead into the rumble and touch the other end of the lead (the centre not the outside, do you hear the hum when you do that? If so the amp is ok. 

Did the ibanez work before this event or hadn't you tried it for a while?

Dad3353 has nailed the description of the ampjack. Besides the 6mm jack input it has two 3.5mm sockets. One for mp3 in and one for headphones out this enables you to play to your mp3 input whilst mixing the levels of each whilst being the only one hearing it due to the headphones. So the rumble is normal - quiet - without a lead plugged in. Turn vol up to 10 - full - and you hear a quiet hiss, overdrive button in and a small thud on, and one when turning it off. Plug a lead in and the Buzz starts. Increases with a turn of the vol, and again when switching overdrive on and off you can tell somethings getting amplified. Touch the tip of the other end of the lead and a massive buzz can be heard even at low volume. Connect the casady and it's the same as touching the tip of the lead. 

Plug in the Ibanez with fresh batteries and whilst there's no Buzz, you've really got to crank the vol up just to get to hear it a little.  

The second input socket gives the same results.

Edited by nerminater

Let's try to disassemble all that. We'll ignore the ampjack for now; just the Rumble. One should always plug instruments and leads into amps with the volume down to zero. I'll assume that's what you'll be doing from now on. OK then, volume at zero, lead plugged into the Casady, the other end plugged into the amp (to be done in that order. Turn the volume up on the Casady. Now turn the volume up slowly on the amp. Does the bass play..? If so, all is well. If there's an increasing 'buzz', but no sound from the Casady pick-ups, there's a faulty jack socket on the Casady which needs fixing. Fairly simple for those with some soldering experience, an inexpensive operation for an instrument repair shop (recommended, unless already familiar with these things...).

As for the Ibanez, the same experiment should be executed, in the same order. If the guitar can be heard, all is well. If there is a buzz, it's the same problem as the Casady. If the guitar plays, but only very, very quietly, it's, again, a job for a repair shop, and could be a number of things (you've already eliminated the possibility of a low battery, so it's not that...).

Try all this and report back, please..?

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1