Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1100s pickup quandary

Guest MoJo

Yamaha BB1100s Pickup Quandary  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I swap out the pickups or sell the bass?

• Swap 'em out
    • Sell it on

Guest MoJo

I have, as the title says, a Yamaha BB1100s. It's a great instrument, plays beautifully and has a lovely neck on it. My only niggle is the stock pickups, particularly the split, neck 'P-type' pickup.

One would think that, in passive mode, soloing the neck pickup would produce a tone akin to a decent Precision Bass, but this is not the case. It is Precision-like but lacks the midrange growl of a Precision. I can get closer to the tone I'm after by kicking in the onboard active circuitry and dialling in some mids but I still find myself picking up my Vintage V4 for a gig in place of the BB, purely because I can 'plug & play' with the V4.

I'm now wondering whether to swap out the stock pickups or sell the bass. The covers on the stock pickups are loose and it looks perfectly feasible to use the guts from a Fender / Dimarzio or similar pickup and the original covers. As long as I don't butcher the covers, the process is completely reversible. 

Has anyone else swapped out the pickups on an old Yamaha BB, if so, was it successful? What do you guys think, mod or sell?