Why become a member? ×

G&L CLF L1000 and L2000 new/old basses

Pinball

Look like Re-issues of the early ones. I have owned “L2000e and L-1000 in various finishes. The L1k is stellar but both of the L2ks seemed to be over 12lbs. Hope these Re-issues don’t replicate that feature. I currently own an Empress Wood L2k which is under 8 lbs. My best L1k had a MM neck shape and smallish frets which contrasts with the latest Empress featuring huge (to me!) frets.

My friend in Seattle is Hip to all things G&L and he will be able to shed some light on these models. Will update when I hear back from him.

• Like 2

Just received this from Seattle

The reissues are a mix of mostly new standard features and some old.  The control plate, knobs, and headstock shape are old style, the neck has a new custom profile that's only available on the CLF L2000 and L1000, the rest is just like the current L2000.  I wish they had put the OMG caps into the L2000 but they will be in the L1000.  

Something else I learned recently is that G&L are supposedly putting graphite rods in their USA necks now...  

I have a CAR CLF L2000 and I love it.  The neck is much more comfortable than most 80s G&Ls but it does feel like an old G&L neck profile, just narrower at 1-5/8" at the nut.   

With the L2000s they only offered maple fingerboards.  Body options were limited in colors and woods available, my CAR is basswood and fairly light at 8.7 lbs.  Sound is great, one of these days I'll try the OMG caps in there.   

I've got a CLF L1000 on order - metallic gold, basswood body, Caribbean rw board.   I'll let you know what I think, I should have it in a week or two.   I'm assuming I'll like it.   
  • Like 2