Why become a member? ×

Bartolinis + Glockenklang?

Wehner

I have a modified, partly unoriginal Fender Jazz from '71, and I am not really happy with the sound of it. It is medium-heavy ash + maple board and baseball bat neck.

The electronics are '75 Fender Jazz reissues paired with a Glockenklang 2-band preamp. As soon as I turn up the treble just a tad, the sound gets very thin, and I need to apply a bass boost at all times to make it sound decent to begin with.

By chance, I have just acquired a pair of Bartolini - 57J1 L/S. Since these are humbuckers they should have a darker sound which might suit the inherent qualities of this rather thin-sounding bass and make it come alive. There wouldn't be any problem pairing these pickups with the Glockenklag electronics, would there?

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

The Barts will work fine with the Glock. How about just taking out the Glock and rewiring as passive? The snap and bite of single coils are part of what makes a Jazz sound like a Jazz!

I have Bartolini humbuckers in my Ibanez SR1000, although off the top of my head I cannot remember exactly which model they are. The stock pre-amp died years ago and was replaced by a 2 band Glockenklang. Everything works fine and there was no issue connecting everything up. 

One thing to consider before doing anything is that the Bartolini pickups sound very different to Jazz single coils. I'm somewhat ambivalent to the sound of the Barts, they slice through the mix brilliantly and are tonally consistent from the low E to the high G on my 4 sting, 2 octave neck. But when it's just the bass in isolation, I personally find the tone to be somewhat bland and unexciting - they don't have the classic passive single coil punch. But they may well be exactly what you are looking for.  

Thanks for the input. I will proceed with the operation.

I am actually something of a Jazz Bass geek and have several passive traditional ones, so I would not mind this one sounding totally different.