Why become a member? ×

NBD: Brandoni acoustic bass

kristo

I've recently picked up a Brandoni acoustic bass for using in my bluegrass/blues/jazz band and am absolutely loving it! I was using a Japanese Mustang bass (which I also love) but it didn't really fit in with the acoustic vibe of the band. I've tried numerous semi/hollow basses but none have felt right like the Mustang does. Then I stumbled across the Brandoni in Wunjo and was instantly smitten. It's essentially an acoustic guitar body converted to bass, but the tailpiece style means that short scale strings can be used. I ditched the stock roundwound strings and added some Labella 60-115 white tapewounds. The fatter strings nicely offset the 26" scale and it feels great to play. It sounds warm, and gives us the double bass kinda sound I wanted. I just wanted to see if anyone else is playing one of these?

(Picture before I changed the strings)

1HO3W6Y.jpg

Edited by kristo
  • Like 2

No but there was a slightly different looking lefty on eBay a while back. I love the look with the tailpiece. I absolutely don't need one and it sold for more than I was willing to part with. Nice to hear a good opinion on them though, I'll keep an eye out in case it comes back around!

• 1 month later...