Why become a member? ×

Best Preamp Shoot out.?

bubinga5

Glock is excelent, their "flat" setting is as flat as you could get and there's no drop in volume when changing from (flat) active to passive. Tonal versatility is huge. My absolute favorite even though i don't own one at the time and won't replace the stock preamp in my TRB.

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

er, yeah. Or at least that is the intention to buy one that's better.

really?

I have 4-5 overdrive pedals... because they all do different things. Well, except the SA Aftershock, that one does EVERYTHING :p but yeah, I have different flavours to choose from.

Just like the preamp in your amp and on your bass (or any other amp) is probably different.

So that's one reason you may want to mostly use the preamp on your bass, because you like, or are used to, how that particular preamp responds. I used to play with an amp with 4 semiparametric controls. I could get pretty much anything out of it, I still prefer the controls of my Stingray (familiarity, for the most part, perhaps).

But I think the major reason people like onboard preamps is the ability to slightly tweak things directly from the bass. It's not better, or worse, but some people like that. It seems strange to me to suggest that people use their onboard preamps because their amplifier is not very good :D

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

(...)
It seems strange to me to suggest that people use their onboard preamps because their amplifier is not very good :D

+1
In my case i set the amp's EQ flat and use the bass on-board preamp to EQ the sound (in honesty i only boost a bit of bass and the rest is kept flat also). I don't do this because the amp's preamp is bad, quite the opposite actually :) , i do this for two main reasons:

1 - i can change, tailor, adjust my tone anytime without having to turn my back to the audience mid gig.

2 - doing this i can be sure that the sound i'm getting from my rig is as close to the soung going to FOH as possible.