Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude woofer pickup + vol pot issues

Lysdexia

Hi guys - much as I love my Attitude bass, there are two things I'd like to change

1. The woofer pup right next to the neck is raised above the scratchplate by about two mm all round - right where I like to slap/pop

2. The woofer vol pot is far to close to this area, so when I try to overcome the pup issue, I keep battering my fingers off the pot.

So,

Can the woofer pup be sunk down so it becomes flush the with plate?

And is there a way to stack the vol pot onto one of the two, lower pots - and if so, any suggestions/ideas for wiring?

I really love the sound and how it plays for finger-style, but it's frustrating to even attempt to slap/pop successfully.

I own an Attitude.
I don't really play slap.
However...

I don't think that the neck pick-up can be sunk [i]that[/i] far into the body, simply because the neck passes beneath it! From what I can tell, it's not sprung or suspended like some pick-ups, just screwed straight in.

That said, I'd consider the forward volume control to be the greater problem vis-a-vis slapping.
Trouble is, both of the other two pots are pop-ups for the mid cut / mono or stereo options.

Personally, I'd check out the pot values (I'd guess at 500k), and seek out a dual-concentric with a pull-up.
I'd use it on the rearward pot (Split "P" Vol & mono/stereo) so you've got both vols on one stack to avoid confusion.

My Warwick has such a stacked control for Bass/Treble & coil tap. Don't know what the pot values are, though...

Just a couple of ideas.
Hope it helps!

[quote name='andy67' post='337232' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:41 PM']the neck pup is only a cover, the pup sits slightly below the scratchplate.

now, lysdexia, the attitude is not meant to be slapped! :huh:

andy[/quote]

That's the answer I wanted to hear about the neck pup - so how would I make the cover flush with the rest of the scratch-plate? Take the lot off and get a custom plate made?

And this bass was made for slapping - it's thunderous :)