Why become a member? ×

adding another speaker to a combo

nikon F

I have a rumble 100w v1 ,,,,I think its with a 4 ohm speaker ,,,what would the impedence be if I added an 8 ohm ext speaker in series ? would it be a bad idea  ,,,,,and what sort of difference would it make .    thanks for any replies in advance. Andy

It is a very bad idea. From memory the Rumble 100 does not have an ext speaker output and as you say the internal 4 Ohm speaker is designed to get the maximum output from the amp.

Adding an 8 Ohm speaker in series would reduce the output considerably due to the increased impedance.

it dosent have an ext output but I was going to add one  .. okay so its going to be 12 ohms   ,speaker in first cab 33w ,one in ext 66w ,,,,( ext speaker is 250 w ),, anyone have any idea what it will sound like ?       

Your figures are wrong - 66% power would go to the 4 Ohm speaker and the rest to the 8 Ohm.  Power output would be cut to around 40(ish) W at 12 Ohms.  Impossible to say how it will sound  - depends on how speakers interact and if they are wired in phase or not.  It's not a very good idea.

G.

Nobody can tell you what it will sound like unless they have done exactly what you are proposing but the overall output is likely to be around 40W max, so considerably quieter.

The combo will only deliver the rated 100W RMS with a 4 Ohm load. You are going to end up with a 12 Ohm load and an output imbalance between each speaker. 

46 minutes ago, geoffbyrne said:

Your figures are wrong - 66% power would go to the 4 Ohm speaker and the rest to the 8 Ohm.  Power output would be cut to around 40(ish) W at 12 Ohms.  Impossible to say how it will sound  - depends on how speakers interact and if they are wired in phase or not.  It's not a very good idea.

G.

yes sorry wrong way round  impedence wise .is there not only the one way to wire them tho ?

to be honest just playing ,,,,I'm totally new to music never touched a guitar in my life till a year ago ( I'm nearly 58 ) its just sitting there doing nothing ,,,its just one of those ,,, I wonder what if moments,,,,,but thanks for the replies tho