Why become a member? ×

Truetone mA meter

dannybuoy

According to some TB posts, their Line6 wireless receiver only used 350mA rather then 500mA and their MXR ISO Brick was capable of dishing out 450mA from its 300mA socket. Sounds like a useful device for those trying to squeeze the most out of a small supply like the Cioks DC5 like me!

5 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

... their MXR ISO Brick was capable of dishing out 450mA from its 300mA socket. 

Supply current is one attribute of a power supply, but only one - if you are drawing too much current from a power supply I can almost guarantee the supplied voltage will drop and that the regulation of the supplied voltage will be less than optimal. IMO this device would be much more useful showing the actual voltage being read too; without this the current reading alone is nowhere near as useful.

Regarding the 'wildly inaccurate ratings', manufacturers often overspec the current ratings on the safe side, or they know that (for example) digital pedals may draw a lot of current when they first start up but have lower drain after that. I doubt this device has a 'peak hold' function, so it might not capture important information even about the current rating.

i think anything that helps users power their pedals correctly is a step in the right direction.

i used to pay little attention to which outputs on my PP2+ and fuel tank jr, were powering which pedal.... then i started to care (got educated on here) and actually planed the power supply to my board in the same way i plan the signal chain. as a result, my board is noticeably quieter, some (all?) combination of effects for sure sound better and the 2 power supplies under my board run cooler. and there is less chance that things will go bad mid set... win, win, win, win. :i-m_so_happy: