Why become a member? ×

Anyone else using a Harmonizer?

uk_lefty

I bought a cheap Harmonizer off eBay (Tomsline, also goes under the Aroma brand and some other names) and hated it. I had assumed it could thicken up the bass tone subtly with a fifth or whatever and cover some.more sonic ground but a lot of the settings are rubbish, frankly. My guitarist is going to take it on and have a go... But then I put it back on my board and used it in detune mode set to add a fifth, then in to a flanger and wow! The breakdown in magic carpet ride has become rightfully psychedelic!

So who else uses Harmonizers and how do you get the best out of them?

I use a Boss PS6. It's a bit flakey (latency, tracking) but it can do a combination of things that I can't get out of another single compact pedal. The settings i use most are 3 voice harmony (usually R, 3, 5) with delay and a volume pedal. The Pitchfork will do this, but doesn't have a m3 for some reason, whereas - provided you are in key - the Boss will adjust the minor and major intervals as you shift the root. The Quintessence is more flexible in this respect but doesn't offer multi octave up/down. I use the +3 octave option combined with a sample rate reduce to get a wind instrument sound. Unfortunately +3 is only available in S-bend mode so you have to keep your foot on the pedal, which is a pain if you are using a volume pedal too. There is also a detune chorus mode, which I like, but the pedal is early in the chain, so I don't tend to use this much. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I would have loved one of them but couldn't justify the cost. Suppose if I think the cheapo Chinese one I'm using now is worth it I might upgrade to the boss in future.

If it's pure harmoniser function you're after, I think the TC looks like a better solution. Also quite pricey and not likely to be found S/h.  I got the PS6 for 75 quid off ebay. I just need a few weird additional things that only the PS6 does.