Why become a member? ×

La Bella Flats & Gold White Nylons comparison with Chromes and Rounds

Sibob

30 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I have the coppers on a Jazz and on a Precision. No problems with nut/bridge. Prior to that I was using 45-105 sets of roundwounds. 

How are you finding them?

What is the longevity like? 

How is the tension - anything you could compare it to? 

56 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Appreciate these Q's weren't for me, but my 2pence is.....
I find tapes comparable to flats with regards to longevity, which I think in part is why they're more expensive, companies know that they're inherently going to sell way fewer of them compared to Roundwounds. Certainly when I put flats and tapes on a bass, I largely assume I'm not going to replace them for a LONG time. I gigged my last set of Gold White Nylons a lot and didn't hear any drop-off in tone. Those strings only went because I sold the bass. When I bought the bass back (sans the strings unfortunately), I put on some White Nylons and while they're still relatively new, I assume I won't change those strings for years now.

Tension wise, they are low tension! Kinda the opposite to flats, and lower still than roundwounds. Some people really don't like them for that reason, but for me it's one of the reasons I love them most. If you have a particularly heavy touch, you're going to likely have to change your approach, but if you're quite light-handed, you're doing to love them. They also bend really nicely for vibrato.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I like them, they can get reasonably bright with the tone control wide open, brighter than your typical flats, but when you roll off treble they get into a more 'classic flats' type of sound. From that point of view I find them more versatile than standard flats (perhaps because these aren't really flats). They have a great low midrange growl that I love.

Longevity? I play fingerstyle most of the time, and I've had these strings for around 4 years now I think. I haven't noticed any significant change in sound and they're still in good condition. They're not on the basses that I play the most, but I do use them regularly.

They are very flexible, very compliant, more than anything else 've ever used. You may need to loosen up the truss rod a bit and they may feel a bit strange at first. A bit plasticky. It's just the first impression, I found them easy to get used to. They are super easy to bend, so if you like adding a few bends and vibrato these strings will make it very easy. 

I do like them.

edit: I could have just replied "what @Sibob said" :D

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1