Why become a member? ×

Blues tone help...

Walker

I'm not in a band at the moment, so I'm taking some time to learn blues guitar, just riffing around m pentatonic with some jam tracks after a couple of beers. It's very therapeutic!

I'm obviously listening to loads of blues too, but one tone I keep coming back to is Clapton on From the Cradle, especially 'Five Long Years'.

It's hard to explain, but 'honkey'with a 'back of the room' reverb sort of describe it to my ears anyway.

Does anyone know where I should start to try and recreate that basic amp tone? I have a Fender Blues Junior and a Kemper with a bunch of Michael Britt vintage profiles. Is there reverb or is that just mic' placement when recorded?

Cheers!

Approach #1

Sell the BJ and the Kemper. Buy a Clapton Signature EC Vibrochamp or Tremolux. Crank it up and maybe roll a bit of treble off your guitar.

Approach #2

Stick a bog-standard Boss EQ pedal between your guitar and your BJ. Roll off some of the bass end, crank the 1.6k fader. Turn your BJ up. See below:

In either instance, craft your lead tone first with the guitar volume set to full. Then turn the guitar volume pot down for rhythm passages. If everything sounds a bit muddy when turned down fit a treble-bleed cap / resistor across your volume pot(s).

In any event, it still won't sound much like it does on the recording because you won't be hearing it through a high-end mike and desk with studio compression and EQ. 

• Thanks 1