Why become a member? ×

Possible to take the preamp out of a Trace Elliot TVT9 guitar combo?

Delberthot

Hi everybody.

Some time ago, i bought a Trace Elliot TVT9 80w guitar combo when i was mucking about with 12 string basses.

I still have it as its probably going to be a small fortune to post it if i should sell it.

The preamp itself is separate from the power amp and looks like 2 screws each side should have the fellow out. The only cable going from the preamp to the power amp looks like it is purely to enable the combo to get power using one power lead than 2. there is another but is a line out from the preamp to send the signal to the power amp - is uses a standard jack so just disconnects.

My question is - If i were to take this out and find a suitable rack mount kit, would Taking the power lead that goes to the power amp and putting a plug on the end with suitable fuse work?

Here is a pic of the back - the black wire is what looks like the power and the grey is the signal to the power amp.

The issue I have is that the preamp holds 8 tubes and don't know if plugging it in without a dedicate power switch could damage them. There is a standby switch on the front like an all valve amp would have.

I have a power amp that I can use so it would effectively become my first sort of valve rig to see if I liked it before shelling out for a full valve amp.

With the exception of the rack mount kit, it would also cost me nothing as I have everything I need.

My next question of this is possible:

It uses 8x ECC83s that are sounding a bit microphonic - if I were to change them, do they require biasing like power tubes do?

If all this is possible and can be done cheap enough could someone point me in the direction of someone that does a rack kit for the preamp and the best place to get tubes

Thanks in advance

Edited by Delberthot