Why become a member? ×

Bass Solos Explained

BigRedX

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='332837' date='Nov 20 2008, 03:20 AM']...that includes homeless people with penny whistles and middle-aged men at wedding receptions playing Mustang Sally.[/quote]

Yup, that's me: Middle aged Mustang Sally, sometimes in the street for pennies...

Re solo creation, We went around that a while back
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=29442&view=findpost&p=304198"]Here[/url]

[quote name='Jase' post='332999' date='Nov 20 2008, 11:40 AM']I quite like watching a live bass solo, a player doing something random or unrehearsed I find interesting. Written solos can be really good too, something that's been worked on and rehearsed is just as valid as an improvised part.[/quote]

Er ...
I don't think many solos are unprepared, "random or unrehearsed", even if that just means the player has played a solo in that space in the tune 20 times before with the same band.

If you are thrown a surprise solo on stage by a bandleader, or circumstances, then you still fall back on the chords, arpeggios, melody and scales that fit the tune... And if you know it's a good idea to have some shape to a solo, a start, middle and end, then that will influence what you play.

So the actual note choice and sequence may differ from solo to solo but the components will come from the same practice and preparation.

[quote name='OldGit' post='348764' date='Dec 8 2008, 04:03 PM']Er ...
I don't think many solos are unprepared, "random or unrehearsed", even if that just means the player has played a solo in that space in the tune 20 times before with the same band.

If you are thrown a surprise solo on stage by a bandleader, or circumstances, then you still fall back on the chords, arpeggios, melody and scales that fit the tune... And if you know it's a good idea to have some shape to a solo, a start, middle and end, then that will influence what you play.

So the actual note choice and sequence may differ from solo to solo but the components will come from the same practice and preparation.[/quote]

Yes, I agree.....a formula, even if it varies from the last time it was played. In an accompanied solo, yes! Unaccompanied, random and unrehearsed is something I think works well.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='333038' date='Nov 20 2008, 12:17 PM']In the stuff I'm interested in, no instrument ever solos. And I like it that way.

Solo on any insturment = time to go to the bar[/quote]

You'd go to the bar during "[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUt2D0FkdU"]The Elephant[/url]"? For shame! You must have a heart of stone :-)

Jennifer