Why become a member? ×

Boost/Overdrive/Distortion to put in front of a valve amp

28mistertee

Afternoon all :)

Am currently in the market for a new pedal to put in front of my valve amp. I was originally thinking a nice distortion ie a rat or something however now I’m just thinking of putting some sort of boost on instead to drive the valves more. I normally have my pre wound past noon to give me a little bite on my clean signal which I love the sound of. However I’m looking at something a bit more growly during chorus’s and twin lead breaks without losing my colour of my amp. I guess something similar to how a 2/3 channel amp works. Any suggestions? 

A clean boost would give you an accompanying volume boost which might be a bit unmanageable playing live, so I'd go for a drive pedal personally, one that's fairly transparent that could be dialled back to a clean boost.

A TC Spark Booster would fit the bill, I've been meaning to try one as it's getting a rep as a fine bass overdrive in its own right, but the toggle switch lets you just use it as a boost pedal also. The Earthquaker Westwood is a new 'transparent overdrive' pedal out that also looks good, but really there are tons of low-gain bass-friendly overdrives out there, prepare to be overwhelmed with recommendations (both good and bad)!

Another recommendation that's slightly unusual is to use a dirty compressor like the Fairfield Accountant.

Edited by dannybuoy

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

A clean boost would give you an accompanying volume boost which might be a bit unmanageable playing live, so I'd go for a drive pedal personally, one that's fairly transparent that could be dialled back to a clean boost.

A TC Spark Booster would fit the bill, I've been meaning to try one as it's getting a rep as a fine bass overdrive in its own right, but the toggle switch lets you just use it as a boost pedal also. The Earthquaker Westwood is a new 'transparent overdrive' pedal out that also looks good, but really there are tons of low-gain bass-friendly overdrives out there, prepare to be overwhelmed with recommendations (both good and bad)!

Another recommendation that's slightly unusual is to use a dirty compressor like the Fairfield Accountant.

Thanks I’ll have a listen to these, I definitely don’t want a volume boost more something to drive the valves a bit and the ability to wind the volume back to keep the cleans and overdrive consistent level wise.

Im a bit of a novice on compressors, I do have one at the start of my chain to even the attack of the notes and obviously I’ll get natural compression from my valves, would a third compressor be maybe too much?