Why become a member? ×

Rickenfaker Machine heads

jango

Hi, would appreciate some ideas and or help,just bought a nice 70's Jap Rickenfaker which is a great bass in most respects apart from the machineheads. I would like to swap these for some 'elephant ear' types but therein lies the problem.

The original holes in the headstock are around 12mm but most new machines need around a 17mm hole, so has anyone ever widened the holes on their bass headstock before? I've got access to a pillar drill so that's not a problem just want to be sure it can safely be done before I potentially nacker this bass.

Another thing, I would like to have the Truss Rod Cover(which is plain) engraved with something like 'Rickenfaker' does anyone know of a company etc that do this or is it something I can do myself?

Thanks.

Rick's have quite small tuner posts anyway, and have a half inch hole in the headstock - about the same as the 12mm one on your faker. If you're looking to get your 'faker a bit closer to the real thing it might be an idea to go for replacements for the rick parts, like the hipshot ones.

You could go for the fender type ones, which due to their popularity tend to go cheaper, but IMHO sticking on that type won't really look anymore convincing that what you've got. The posts are far bigger and the shafts are much longer than the rick ones, so don't really look the part. If it's the enclosed tuners with a rectangular head you've got and are just worrying about their ability to hold their tune, there's nothing to lose sleep about - they do a good job in my experience.

You can buy molded 'rick' TRC's on ioffer.com but you're much better off following Jon's handy guide [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=19592&view=findpost&p=227610"]here.[/url]

Edited by Musky

Whilst I wouldnt compete with Jon's Matsumoko approach, I do have a good friend whois just starting out with a Laser engraver and he is currently 'on the case' with my PRS trcs......

Watch this space....

Peg holes, I have done both ways, opening out and sleeving down.... Its a right royal PItA to do, but worth it .....

Are you deifinatley sure there is no way you can get pegs the correct size?

[quote name='Rickster' post='330171' date='Nov 16 2008, 05:32 PM']Are these the Tuning Keys you require?

[url="http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=310"]Hipshot HB5 Rickenbacker Replacements[/url][/quote]

Thanks. Yes mate, they are. Bit steep though aren't they?

[quote name='Musky' post='330135' date='Nov 16 2008, 03:50 PM']You can buy molded 'rick' TRC's on ioffer.com but you're much better off following Jon's handy guide [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=19592&view=findpost&p=227610"]here.[/url][/quote]

$75!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ...........................Think I'll be following Jon's handy guide..............

[quote name='Rickster' post='330183' date='Nov 16 2008, 05:55 PM']I don't think so they are about $100 to buy in America. plus postage.[/quote]

I meant relatively steep. The bass was quite cheap to buy so that price would seem like a large amount to spend on an upgrade. I've had a bass with Hipshot tuners before and they are undoubtedly good quality though, and worth the money; I'm just tight!!! :)

I you're looking for something on the cheap [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-electric-bass-guitar-tuners-No-14-15-or-26_W0QQitemZ130224453640"]these might fit the bill.[/url]

They've got enclosed backs, but then so did the vintage grovers Rick used to use, and it wouldn't be obvious from the front.

[quote name='Musky' post='333226' date='Nov 20 2008, 04:31 PM']I you're looking for something on the cheap [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-electric-bass-guitar-tuners-No-14-15-or-26_W0QQitemZ130224453640"]these might fit the bill.[/url]

They've got enclosed backs, but then so did the vintage grovers Rick used to use, and it wouldn't be obvious from the front.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was looking for something fairly cheap, however I've just sorted out some Hipshots from another Basschatter. :)
Never mind, the Hipshots were still a bargain compared to new and no doubt if I'd gone for the cheapies I'd have regretted it later. Me old Nan used to say (in a scratchy voice) " Buy cheap and you'll buy twice!!"

STILL trying to source a truss rod cover or means to engrave mine. Don't really want an original Ricky cover, as I'm not trying to pass this off as a real Rick, just something custom. Anyone know someone who can do one? Or a link to how to engrave or make my own?

[quote name='jango' post='334230' date='Nov 22 2008, 07:26 AM']Thanks for the link. Yeah, I was looking for something fairly cheap, however I've just sorted out some Hipshots from another Basschatter. :)
Never mind, the Hipshots were still a bargain compared to new and no doubt if I'd gone for the cheapies I'd have regretted it later. Me old Nan used to say (in a scratchy voice) " Buy cheap and you'll buy twice!!"

STILL trying to source a truss rod cover or means to engrave mine. Don't really want an original Ricky cover, as I'm not trying to pass this off as a real Rick, just something custom. Anyone know someone who can do one? Or a link to how to engrave or make my own?[/quote]

Nice one!

Your best bet (and certainly the cheapest) for the TRC is still Jon's preferred method. Until '72 Rickenbacker used a clear perspex TRC with the logo silk screened on the back, so using card backed perspex isn't going to look out of place. I have seen computer controlled engraving machines which cut designs into various materials (like Burpster's friend seems to have), but that will leave you with a logo cut [i]into[/i] the TRC rather than standing proud of it like current production Ricks. Incidentally, the guy on ioffer sells fakes - Rickenbacker don't make TRCs available unless you exchange an old one.

I somehow managed to miss this thread for the last couple of weeks!

My original idea with the perspex trc was to use a reverse-printed transfer on the rear for the logo - I have a laser printer so should theoretically be able to do this with the print-your-own decal sheets available on Fleabay - unfortunately my rubbish printer melts these & then jams, so the idea remains untested. :)

However, the paper/card underlay things work well, & once properly fitted are pretty much undetectable. I've done two so far & am very pleased with the result.

If you're interested I could make up a perspex trc/underlay to fit your bass - I can do any design you want as long as it's [u]not[/u] Rickenbacker! :huh: Not sure what I'd charge but it wouldn't be as much as a dodgy Italian one!

I'm interested in the idea of engraving one - some of the old copies had engraved-logo covers, the Ibanez & Jolanas did. These had 3-ply scratchplate material covers, engraved through the top layer so the middle colour showed. Might have a go with a bit of black 3-ply I've got lying around.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='334358' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:38 PM']I somehow managed to miss this thread for the last couple of weeks!

My original idea with the perspex trc was to use a reverse-printed transfer on the rear for the logo - I have a laser printer so should theoretically be able to do this with the print-your-own decal sheets available on Fleabay - unfortunately my rubbish printer melts these & then jams, so the idea remains untested. :)

However, the paper/card underlay things work well, & once properly fitted are pretty much undetectable. I've done two so far & am very pleased with the result.

If you're interested I could make up a perspex trc/underlay to fit your bass - I can do any design you want as long as it's [u]not[/u] Rickenbacker! :huh: Not sure what I'd charge but it wouldn't be as much as a dodgy Italian one!

I'm interested in the idea of engraving one - some of the old copies had engraved-logo covers, the Ibanez & Jolanas did. These had 3-ply scratchplate material covers, engraved through the top layer so the middle colour showed. Might have a go with a bit of black 3-ply I've got lying around.

Jon.[/quote]

I'm impressed by your Matsumoku TRC. I've been trying to make something similar, Rickenbacker typescript but Photoshopped to read 'Rickenf*cker' . I have to say I'm not having much success, as I'm using photographs off t'internet as 'donors'. Can't find a similar typesript (which would make things a LOT easier)
Any ideas would be gratefully recieved, to be fair I may end up asking you to do one for me as this is getting too time consuming. How much is not as much? :huh:

[quote name='Musky' post='341000' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:39 AM']You're best off using vector based graphics for this - use live trace on a photo/logo if you've got CS2 or above, and then clean it up and make any changes to the logo as needed.[/quote]
Havn't got a decent version of Photoshop anymore, just using 'Elements' which is crap. Used to have a cr***ed version but it's long lost.