Why become a member? ×

envelpoe filter...

Steveajax

Hello all,I'm after getting an envelope filter/bass synth pedal,just wanted some feedback from any one whos got /tried/uses one as too what to check out..price not important,..I'll use it thro my fx loop,or just plug thru it.whichever sounds best...Ive got a warwick Streamer active and play thro a MARSHALL dbs 2oow head....thanks......

i am absolutly loving the pigtronix envelope phaser at the minute, really REALLY good pedal, but a little pricey. What are you after, subtle or extreme?? the pigtronix can do both, but if your after a more subtle filter the boomstick bottomfeeder gets good review, and i think there is one for sale in the classifieds.

The Q-Tron+ might be the best low-cost choice, because it's got an FX loop. Stick your fuzz in the loop, along with an octave down, and you've got gnarly synth noises (the alternative with a lesser filter is to stick them infront of the filter, which flattens your dynamics a bit and you don't get as good a response from the filter). A gated fuzz is best for synthy effects.

If you've got more money to throw at it: My main filter is a Meatwad, which is especially handy for this sort of thing because there's a couple of switches for selecting different bands - handy when you've got dirt in the loop so you can find the band that most brings the crunch out. You also get an expression pedal input, so you can sweep the filter with your foot instead of using the envelope follower.

Alternatively, if it's specifically synthy noises and not a plain envelope filter you're after just get a Bass Micro Synth. It's surprisingly effective, and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling mine. :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='330064' date='Nov 16 2008, 12:59 PM']i am absolutly loving the pigtronix envelope phaser at the minute, really REALLY good pedal, but a little pricey. What are you after, subtle or extreme?? the pigtronix can do both, but if your after a more subtle filter the boomstick bottomfeeder gets good review, and i think there is one for sale in the classifieds.[/quote]
Nice one ,,Ive heard snarling dogs do a" Bootzilla" fuzz/synthy pedal with switchable fuzz....I'd like to be able to do both...Thanks ...I'll give em a try.....thanks again for replyin...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='330186' date='Nov 16 2008, 06:03 PM']The Q-Tron+ might be the best low-cost choice, because it's got an FX loop. Stick your fuzz in the loop, along with an octave down, and you've got gnarly synth noises (the alternative with a lesser filter is to stick them infront of the filter, which flattens your dynamics a bit and you don't get as good a response from the filter). A gated fuzz is best for synthy effects.

If you've got more money to throw at it: My main filter is a Meatwad, which is especially handy for this sort of thing because there's a couple of switches for selecting different bands - handy when you've got dirt in the loop so you can find the band that most brings the crunch out. You also get an expression pedal input, so you can sweep the filter with your foot instead of using the envelope follower.

Alternatively, if it's specifically synthy noises and not a plain envelope filter you're after just get a Bass Micro Synth. It's surprisingly effective, and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling mine. :)[/quote]
Hi...nice info ,,I'm gonna check out BOOTZILLA pedal,that has a foot wheel/pedal and switchable fuzz...did hear about micro synth doing a good job...like the idea of exp pedal .... how much for the microsynth ?? Thanks for your time....

[quote name='Steveajax' post='331826' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:18 PM']Nice one ,,Ive heard snarling dogs do a" Bootzilla" fuzz/synthy pedal with switchable fuzz....I'd like to be able to do both...Thanks ...I'll give em a try.....thanks again for replyin...[/quote]
i'v gassed after that pedal for about a year...purely because it looks awesome! i was put off by people sayin the pedals were kinda tempremental, and when i was looking for them there were no uk stockists, think there are now though, go for it and tell me about it! :)

well if price is no object, then the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer will probably do everything you want and more, and you can create and store presets.
The EHX bass micro synth is also wonderful, but a different beast. great filter section too. the Qtron+ is pretty cool as well and is probably more flexible than the Micro Synth (as you can add other pedals in the fx loop such as distortion, octave, another filter, delay as well as having tonnes of options for the qtron's filter settings) but personally i preferred the Micro Synth - its still funky, but not as stereotypically funky ie bootsy collins, and it works out cheaper/neater than buying a qtron+ AND the subsequent pedals you want for that synth sound.

only problem i had with the BMS is that i found that i probably could do with about 3, its got alot of awesome sounds in it, hell Juan from the Mars Volta uses it as his main distortion (according to an article in Bass Player)