Why become a member? ×

going rate for a Christmas cruise

john_the_bass

[quote name='crez5150' post='327406' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:57 AM']This is the problem with a lot of bands...... would you do this with a regular job..... see what others are being paid and then try to get the same sorta money.... It's all about marketing yourself guys come on... I've said this time and time again and people still undersell themselves.... sorry if I'm ranting about this but it's one of my pet hates...[/quote]

You cant market yourself properly, unless you understand the market, and research for information is never wasted.

If you want well paid gigs, you have got to identify the organisations who are able and prepared to be able to pay the money. It is theoretically possible you will get a well paid gig at the tiny pub down the road, but it is far more likely at some sort of corporate function or a private party.

I have no idea what MU rates are, I merely suggested it as a possible place to find some ideas.

As we are not talking about a headline act, either John takes the view that 'we, as a band want x' and we wont do it for less, or he researches the market and tries to find the going rate. for all I know, he could get more.

I have depped on ships quite a bit...
I dont any more..the dosh is nowhere..!
Forget sums of 8k..that aint gonna happen. [especially if an agent is involved]
As someone else said.They will have all manner of undersellers chipping for well less than half that.
8 day cruise cant be going anywhere exotic, unless they are flying you out & back.
To be honest if your band does about 3/4 functions over xmas including new years eve [In the UK]
You will get more...and be at home Xmas day.

A couple of years back MU min rates where under £300.00 pw per man.
And most Cruise lines take no notice of that. :)

P & O used to be the best payers.
Paying port manning/overtime/travel to and from port/holiday pay etc..
But all that changed about 4/5 years ago.
It was worth doing 2 week stints then...
Aint no more.Unless you are a single guy with no ties of any kind.
And no work.
If you want i can PM you someones number,
Who is in the thick of cruise ships...
He will give you the rundown on wages.

Garry