Why become a member? ×

Roland Bass CUBE 120XL

funkydoug

Anyone tried one??

Wondering how loud they get and what the situation is with the extension speaker jack. Talkbass guys seem to think a 4ohm cab is best; does that mean the amp likes to run at 2ohms (if the internal is 4ohms) or just a bit higher if the internal is 8ohms?

Cheers all,

Doug.

These have always interested me, but have never actually twiddled with one. I shall be interested to hear what replies you get.

As for the extension speaker, I believe these are wired in series rather than the traditional parallel. The previous generation CB100 was like that too, with a maximum external speaker impedance of 8 ohm, rather than it being a minimum specified.

Cheers

Geoff

• Thanks 1

ahh! thanks Geoff. Didn't know that about the 100.

A bit of searching into how the 100 works reveals that its 100w amp is really 2 50w amps that are coupled to make 100w when only  using the internal and are split when an external is used. So, a very efficient external cab at 4ohms would be fed by 60w in the 120XL, while the internal would get the same (assuming the design is the same). Either way it is 120w, the difference being the amount of air being moved and the effect of that on loudness and tone.

Cheers!

I A/B-ed one of these a few years ago with a TC BG250 1x15 when weighing up a new combo.  I was attracted by it being Roland (I like their KC keyboard combos) and the on board FX stuff looked interesting, again as it was a Roland, so Boss.

I ended up buying the TC, because I found the 120 good, just not as good.  A little cold sounding, too.  I was trying to not be fooled by the TC being a 15", so I had discounted that.  This is then compounded by their (new) cost being roughly 15-25% more expensive than most mid-range combos.  I didn't find the FX very useable, either.

This all sounds rather glum!

It did howeve show to e very well made and sturdy.  The third of the amps I was meant to test - an Ampeg BA115HP - didn't even make it to the shop without dying!

Edited by Tonteee

It does depend on what you want to play (stylistically) and how you want to sound.  I'm not a fan of Ashdown gear, myself.  The MAG head that powers that combo is fairly well proven tech and well liked in these parts.

Have you considered buying a new head and a second hand speaker?  I see the TC BH250 head is at PMT for just £222, and maybe this guy's cab...

Just a thought.

Or even the TC BG500 up for sale with one of BC's grandees!

Sorry, I don't mean to bombard this thread. Just a thought process - I trust the majority of the used gear on here  - as opposed to eBay or similar - because IMO you're unlikely to sell things to other BassChatters if they're not tip top, unless otherwise specified.

Totally agree with you on trusting used gear on BC. Nice idea,  but I'm pretty set on a combo mate. Got a big head already  (hopefully not literally!) so this is about a portable box to take to sessions and jam with.

The more I think about it the more the Roland is making sense for me. I'm only drawn to the ashdown  because of the tweed if I'm honest!! Ha ha, so shallow:) 

Fair doos, Doug.  (looks for thumbs up emoticon, fails.) :)

IMO, the Roland is just a bit too expensive, when the TC BG250s - in whatever flavour - delivers the goods in a more cost effective way.  I've even listened to the 2x8 version in a quiet-ish gig, and it still sounded great.