Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Portaflex 500 - EQ help?

Misowaki

Hello hello,

So I've had my PF500 for a while now and I just can't seem to get the mids right. Not used to the frequency selector thing but to my ear all the mids on offer sound a bit... off. It's either scooped with ultra low or not rounded enough when just adding or subtracting with the freq switch.

Any advice/tips?

Thanks!

The ultra low does cut low mids and boost 40 hz. Set everything to 12:00 and then experiment with the mid control. Set the selector switch to #1, play an open a and let it ring, turn the mid control up and down to see what it does. Do the same thing with #2-#5 on the selector switch. This will give you a good idea of what the mid controls do.

Are you switching in the "Ultra Hi" or "Ultra Low" buttons?
I had one of these, and from memory, the Ultra Low seemed to affect some of the midrange frequencies, as GreyBeard says...
But it might be that the Ultra- High affects some mid range frequencies too....

I seem to recall never switching both these buttons on, as mids almost seemed to disappear....
You could also try a DI pedal. I used to be forever fiddling, particularly with mids - until I bought the MXR DI
These days, I pretty much set the amp controls to 12 O'clock, and tweak the EQ from the DI pedal, to suit which bass I have / band I'm with, or to suit the sound in a given venue

I used to select both the Ultra-Low and Ultra-Hi buttons for live work (Ultra-Hi off for recording). Gain set as per the manual, lighting up on the hardest hit notes. All other eq set at midday, and compression on about 3. Sounded really nice.

I've tried all combos of ultras on and off but I'm starting to think it's actually because I'm not running it loud enough. Saw someone talking about gain setting and having it so it barely lights up when pushed but I think you're right, Lozz, think it needs to be higher.

Ultras give too much scoop but I want that growl from my P bass. Was put off pushing gain too much because of the 'fault' stories but a little more shouldn't hurt... I hope.