Why become a member? ×

Japanese Aria SB special II - Auction

LewisK1975

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1506534781' post='3379422']
It's from the same era - basically a 2xP version of the P/J RSB Deluxe II. Not sure why they used that name, though.

Too bad about the missing knob - those Aria co-ax sets are twice as rare as rocking-horse poo.
[/quote]

Hmm. These arent actually that rare IMO. I just sold one and my mate bought one earlier this year after trying mine. They are phenomenal basses though, especially for the money.

Think the seller is optomistic on the prices he mentions in the listing - about £250 is the going rate for one of these in good nick.

As for the pups, they arent actually P pups despite appearances. Within the cover there are two seperate jazz coils with only half the pole pieces populated. Not sure why they did that but you cant argue with the resultant sounds these things can make.

Very well balanced and comfortable to play. Lightweight to at 3.95kg.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1506580467' post='3379621']
Hmm. These arent actually that rare IMO. I just sold one and my mate bought one earlier this year after trying mine. They are phenomenal basses though, especially for the money.

Think the seller is optomistic on the prices he mentions in the listing - about £250 is the going rate for one of these in good nick.

As for the pups, they arent actually P pups despite appearances. Within the cover there are two seperate jazz coils with only half the pole pieces populated. Not sure why they did that but you cant argue with the resultant sounds these things can make.

Very well balanced and comfortable to play. Lightweight to at 3.95kg.
[/quote]

True - should've said "P-ish"! I have an RSB Deluxe II (the P/J-ish variant!) and it's ridiculously versatile for a passive bass. I'd assume the exposed coils are simply for aesthetic reasons, the pup's specified pretty much the same as the MB-II, as far as I know.

Interesting (and a little bit annoying!) that he's trying to conflate this bass with Cliff Burton's SB Elite Black & Gold. Entirely different instruments and at opposite ends of the range at the time.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1506601397' post='3379847']
True - should've said "P-ish"! I have an RSB Deluxe II (the P/J-ish variant!) and it's ridiculously versatile for a passive bass. I'd assume the exposed coils are simply for aesthetic reasons, the pup's specified pretty much the same as the MB-II, as far as I know.

Interesting (and a little bit annoying!) that he's trying to conflate this bass with Cliff Burton's SB Elite Black & Gold. Entirely different instruments and at opposite ends of the range at the time.
[/quote]

Indeed. Mind you, although you can pick these up for £200-£300 (I sold mine recently for £250 including the OHSC) in reality, if you paid £600 for one you would still be dead impressed with it. IMHO these knock spots of anything esle you can pickup used for ~£600.

"[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]I'm not going to lie and say it's flawless"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]He's got that one right anyway. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]Lovely bass tho, for not a lot of money at the mo. I do like that headstock shape. [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1506667890' post='3380219']
"[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]I'm not going to lie and say it's flawless"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]He's got that one right anyway. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard][size=1]Lovely bass tho, for not a lot of money at the mo. I do like that headstock shape. [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[size=8]can you speak up please! :ph34r:[size=8] [/size][/size]