Why become a member? ×

Glockenklang Soul 11

TheGreek

[center][/center]

Even though I was very happy with the Glockenklang Heart Rock 11 head I'd acquired, being a lover of [i]that Trace Elliot sound[/i] I felt that it sort of lacked[i] something[/i].

After a few chats with the most learned, Hellzero, whose opinion I hold in high regard, about his Glock Soul combo and how this might more suit my taste, we entered into a [i]pan Europe[/i] trade (despite Brexit).

What I felt was missing in the Heart Rock is here in the Soul combo in spades, just as Tony had said it would be, a fatter, funkier, more soulful tone, closer to what I am getting from my beloved TE and a punchiness the Heart Rock implied was sitting in the background waiting to pounce but that I didn't actually get to test in the Heart Rock, never having tried it in it's full anger.

Even with just one 45 minute session under my belt I love the tone from the Soul combo which is more reminiscent of the Trace sound yet differs enough for it not to be a [i]TE sound alike[/i]. I can only put this down to the [i]heft[/i] you get from heavyweight rigs which IMO is lacking in many of the Class D rigs I've tried/owned.

The Soul combo is, as the Parcelforce driver described, "[i]a bit of a beast[/i]" weighing in at over 37.5kg and you can feel every gramme of this - it's not the type of rig you're going to take out without a sack barrow or a couple of your mates but you know that once you're all set up you're going to be revelling in damaging the ear drums of those silly enough to be close to this little monster.

Tonally, the 5 band eq provides easy access to the tones I'm after, I even had to turn the mids down as they were [i]too middy [/i]bringing the punchiness a little too much to the fore. The bass and low eq (see below) easily alter the tone while maintaining the punch - something I've found hasn't always been the case with some of the gear I've tried. The high/treble eqs clean the tone up without the loss on the lower end.

This is a high end piece of kit but you get what you're asking for. It feels like the real deal and sound like it too. This can only inspire your confidence and playing...try one wherever you can.

If you're going to put your hand in your pocket, think about the lightweight model - 5kg lighter may not sound a lot but your back might appreciate the difference.

[left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]Features:[/b][/size][/font][/left] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]High power (440 watts at 4 ohms)
High sensitivity (100dB/1w/1m)
Frequency range: 40Hz - 18kHz
Loudspeakers: 2x 10", 1x Tweeter, adjustable
Excellent equalization section
LED peak indicator for pre amp and power amp
LED indicators for all switch functions
Optimally routed effects loops
Dual input A/B box with separate pre gain trim for input B
Balanced DI out with level control
Increased gain levels provide smooth overdrive.[/size][/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"] [/size][/font]
[left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]Inputs:[/b][/size][/font][/left] Input A for passive instruments
Input B for active instruments, with additional pre gain trim control
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"] [/size][/font]
[left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]Tone controls :[/b][/size][/font][/left] Switchable 5 band eq
Bass +/- 15 dB
Low +/- 12 dB
Mid +/- 8 dB
High +/- 12 dB
Treble +/- 12 dB
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"] [/size][/font]
[left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]Effect loops :[/b][/size][/font][/left] 1serial effects loop, pre eq
1parallel effects loop, post eq, intensity controlled by effects section on the
front panel, footswitchable
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b]Dimensions (height x width x depth):[/b][/size][/font]
(Soul Combo II light)
500 x 595 x 435 mm / 19.7" x 23.4" x 17.1"
(575 x 615 x 445 mm / 22.6" x 24.2" x 17.5") Weight: 37,5 kg / 82.7 lbs (32 kg / 70.5 lbs)