Why become a member? ×

Anyone like Scott Lefaro ?

lowdown

Scott LaFaro is a fabulously inventive player who took virtuosity on the instrument up a further level before he was tragically killed just after making the essential "Live at the Village Vanguard" recordings with Bill Evans and Paul Motian. However I am not so sure this is he as the photos I have seen show him altogether less creepy looking and with brown or red wavy hair rather than a hideous jet black comb-over :) Also his solo on Waltz for Debby on the live album is a lot more inventive and facile than this one. I stand to be corrected however (as usual :huh:)

Here are photos from google images so you can judge for yourself:

[attachment=15583:slf1.jpg] [attachment=15584:slf2.jpg]

PS, for those that don't like jazz, the aforementioned live album is damn fine mood music for getting romantic wid da laydeez. For those that do (and I do like the odd diversion from punk/rawk etc), its on the list of albums you have to own along with "Kind of Blue" etc

Edited by Clarky

Apparently he was a good but not great bass player until he decided to lock himself away and "wood-shed". I think the result is the discography with Bill Evans as I have an album with him rather younger and he's nowhere near as impressive [url="http://www.worldsrecords.com/pages/artists/g/gordon_joe/joe_gordon_55924.html"]http://www.worldsrecords.com/pages/artists...rdon_55924.html[/url]

Edited by Clarky

His interplay with Bill Evans, particularly on Waltz for Debby, took bass playing to a new level. Do I prefer him to the more conventional masters, such as Ray Brown? - probably not. But we don't have to judge musicians on whether they are better of worse, rather we should celebrate the diversity of playing styles that the instrument offers.

[quote name='bassace' post='322141' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:16 PM']His interplay with Bill Evans, particularly on Waltz for Debby, took bass playing to a new level. Do I prefer him to the more conventional masters, such as Ray Brown? - probably not. But we don't have to judge musicians on whether they are better of worse, rather we should celebrate the diversity of playing styles that the instrument offers.[/quote]
Fair comment - my fave DB players are Scott LaFaro, Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Charlie Mingus and Paul Chambers - all very different in style

PS, so who is the comb-over on DB on the Bill Evans clip? Charlie Haden?

Edited by Clarky