Why become a member? ×

Cab simulator

Saved

The OmniCabSim is good, fully analog with adjustable parameters - no explicit option for 18" speakers but are you sure you really need it?

The Digitech DryCabVR has an option for a 1x18: http://digitech.com/en/products/cabdryvr

There are digital ones such as the Two Notes Torpedo and AMT Pangaea where you load in an impulse response, and there's bound to be some profiles for 18" cabs floating about.

The truth is,i am not sure if i realy need a 18" simulator.
Just thinking about it.
In the other hand,a 18" simulated through a 15" cab,remains a 15" cab..Maybe the EQ can make a 15" sound like a 15" simulated to sound like 18".
Is it better to go flor a 18" cab? I can't find anything.
I found a lot 18" cabs but all of them are old and discontinued (maybe the 18" is not a good idea and thats why they discontinued,but c'mon,sound is personal taste and companies products what sell better)

Cab sims are usually used when recording direct or for when you want to feed the PA an amp-like sound, particularly to remove the top end fizz from distortion/fuzz. Using one to make your cab sound like a different cab isn't so effective unless you have a flat sounding speaker since your cab will impart its own character on top of the simulated one.

If you want to make your 15 sound like an 18, what does that mean exactly? If you just want more bass and less treble then maybe all you need is EQ, or an amp with better EQ. 18" cabs are rare for a reason - they are big and heavy, and more suited for use in PA subs where they're not expected to need great midrange performance that you would typically want from a bass cab.

Cab sims are in reality "microphone" sims. They are designed to emulate the sound of a mic'd cab through various microphones. No cab sim will transform a smaller cab into a larger enclosure. You can maybe get somewhat in the ballpark with a cab sim or just using EQ but you can't recreate the physics of moving air molecules.

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1502978516' post='3354824']
The truth is,i am not sure if i realy need a 18" simulator.
Just thinking about it.
In the other hand,a 18" simulated through a 15" cab,remains a 15" cab..Maybe the EQ can make a 15" sound like a 15" simulated to sound like 18".
Is it better to go flor a 18" cab? I can't find anything.
I found a lot 18" cabs but all of them are old and discontinued (maybe the 18" is not a good idea and thats why they discontinued,but c'mon,sound is personal taste and companies products what sell better)
[/quote]
If you want a good 18 inch sound with a sim then you'll need a FRFR cab in the first place.

Not sure there is a "18inch sound" anymore with new speaker tech though

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1502983375' post='3354865']
Cab sims are usually used when recording direct or for when you want to feed the PA an amp-like sound, particularly to remove the top end fizz from distortion/fuzz.
[/quote]

Just to clarify (as I've just moved to DI my board...)
If using fuzz would you consider it essential to use a cab simulator?
I'm gonna be running my pedals into the Ampeg Classic Analog Preamp pedal then direct into a passive DI with no cab sim. I'm worried that I'll end up getting the evils from the sound guy at gigs...

[quote name='Dazlexic101' timestamp='1503606404' post='3359683']

Just to clarify (as I've just moved to DI my board...)
If using fuzz would you consider it essential to use a cab simulator?
I'm gonna be running my pedals into the Ampeg Classic Analog Preamp pedal then direct into a passive DI with no cab sim. I'm worried that I'll end up getting the evils from the sound guy at gigs...
[/quote]

Totally depends on the pedal and how much top end fizz it puts out, e.g. DI a Boss ODB3 and it will sound like a jar of angry bees. If you're talking about the Ampeg SCR DI, then I understand it has a speaker sim or low pass filter already built in.

A decent sound man may be able to low pass your signal to around 5k for you if you talk to them anyway!