Why become a member? ×

Glockenklang Heart Rock 11 head

TheGreek

I'm surprised that nobody beat me to this TBH. I know there are already several owned by BCers.

I'm reviewing this head with virtually all new ([i]to me[/i]) gear, the Glock Heart Rock 11 head, a TC BC212 cab and the Psilos Bass built for me by Andy Rogers which TBQH I'm not fully [i]au fait[/i] with yet...I've probably only put about 8-10 hours of use in it since Andy delivered it a couple of weeks ago. I acquired the cab around the same time, I've only used it once with a TE head so unfortunately can't really give a fair or rounded view of it's contribution to this equation.

I acknowledge that as a dyed in the wool TE user generally, the review is based on my feelings after just a couple of hours use at home, not in a gigging or studio situation, so please bear with me. Here goes..

After reading some very complimentary articles and speaking to a number of BCers who'd owned these and whose opinions I respect and value, I jumped in and bought a Glock Heart Rock 11 head which came in a Gator flight-case and was in pristine condition. I'll be honest here and say that I mainly bought the Glock Heart Rock 11 head on eBay because the price was right ([i]wish the TE Elf would hurry up and arrive[/i]). Even so I still believed this to be a quality item, more than fit for purpose.

The specs for this are impressive:

[b]Output Power[/b]: 1000 watts@2,7 ohms; 750 watts@4 ohms; 400 watts@8 ohms
[b]Frequency Range[/b]: 25 Hz to 20 KHz -1dB
[b]Power Requirement[/b]: 230V AC - 6,3A Slo / US-Version 120V AC - 12A Slo
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 483 mm x 132 mm x 330 mm (19" x 5" x 13" )
[b]Weight[/b]: 18,6 kg (41 lbs)

Now at 41lbs this is no lightweight by Class D standards but for an A/B class amp that isn't too bad, certainly lighter than the valve equivalent from Fender/ Marshall heads of old.

Currently I'm choosing to run it @ 8 ohms for ease of use - straight into one TC BC212 cab with no effects - but I'm confident that should I ever need it, there's plenty more kick in the Glock box of noise.

With settings flat the Glock gives a fair rock tone, nothing [i]super[/i] impressive, that's not what I'm expecting, but would be acceptable to the majority of players in most situations.

Output, at even low levels, are impressive. The gain on the front panel features an "[i]overdrive[/i]" light which kicks in, as everybody knows, when the amp is made to work hard - [i]I couldn't get this feature to work[/i], I'm running it at 5 on the gain, 3 on the master volume and it's producing plenty of "oomph". Even with the Glock using this tiny amount of it's muscle it kicks out an impressive volume and tone which you not only hear but feel in your kidneys like all the best gear. Typical Rock/ Punk bassists would be more than happy with what this is doing just with the pure "standard" settings. Turn up the volume so the overdrive kicks in, they'll be ecstatic.

Personally I prefer a fatter, more compressed tone - [i]a la[/i] TE - which you don't get at these settings. Dial in a bit more bass, a touch of mids and treble on the 5 band EQ ([i]twirly knobs, not up and down sliders[/i]) and I'm starting to get closer to what I want.

Mixing the tones from the bass's piezo and the invisible jazz pick up ([i]courtesy of [/i]Martin Herrick) with the amp's 5 band gives a great range of tones to choose from, so I'm going to find something I like in there with a bit more experimentation.

Even with virtually no familiarity with the Glock I'm able to achieve the classic rock tone that many aspire to, and I'm confident that by adding a compressor will give me the fat funky tones I desire, in no time at all.

The tones are pure and clean, increasing/decreasing any of the frequencies is noticeable, [i]subtle[/i] adjustments of the settings give marked changes in the tones, all pleasing on the ears - you get the feeling that each and every part of this German built piece of equipment is going to perform as expected, at least. I'm impressed.

Now for somebody who's a proper "[i]there's no alternative to Trace Elliot[/i]" player finding something that's going to rival that brand is not going to be easy [i]or acceptable[/i] TBH. But this isn't a TE, it isn't trying to be and the die-hards of the Green Machine will know that this won't replace their chosen love.

The Glock Heart Rock 11 stands up in it's own right as a solid and effective valve amp for the 21st century. Your typical Ashdown/ Aguilar/ Mesa user will be happy to use one, it has the kick arse tones that they want with the reliability of a wood burning fireplace.

In years to come the Glock range will continue to change hands - the new owners will be pleased with their purchase and the sellers will suffer from the remorse they were warned of by other former owners.

A classic? Not yet, but in 20 years? Very possibly.