Why become a member? ×

How to get gigs

xgsjx

My band have just completed a demo CD to help with getting gigs.

What I thought I'd do for all our benefits (hopefully) is start a post about techniques & tips on what to do to help get gigs.

Things like what to say to promote your band or what should you put with the demo for a spiel.
Also where to look to find possible venues & good sites besides Myspace & Bebo.

I can offer a couple of good sites just now to start with:

www.tourdates.co.uk

www.isound.com

I'll add any info I find as and when.

Not sure if I've put this in the right forum or if there's something similar, but it was the nearest to what I could find. Could you move it to where it should be if needed?

G

Getting gigs (imho) is a pain in the a$$!
What I've been finding is that in London &surrounding areas is difficult.
Step 1: Record demo cd
Step2: Take it into as many pubs that allow for more than 2 people
Step 3 : Keep on ringing the phones of all concerned
Step 4 : keep all other band members as mellow as possible
(like Guinness-all things come to those who wait!)
Step 5 : allow for guitarists unexpected holidays!

I may have missed out on a few things, please let me know if I have.

It's all worth while in the end tho'

Depends on the level of gigs.

For our rock covers / pub gigs an awful lot of venues book the whole of the next year around now so I have been doing a lot of ringing around for repeats and keeping new gigs I am trying to get into on the boil.

I always try to get a rough idea of everyones holidays / other n/a dates to keep cancellations to a minimum but we are talking about over a year in advance so it can't be set in stone.

Get an idea of when in the week members are available and how regularly they want to gig (in my lot it's preferably not school nights, so mainly Fridays & Saturdays, not too late finish - because the guitarist works weekends)

Be prepared to ring some gigs over & over again, but try to agree the next time you will phone when you make first contact and they haven't listened to the CD yet - ie "When's best to ring you?" & "OK so I'll ring you next ###day, OK?"

Get a hold of some tranquillisers for when you have got a load of gigs taking account of everyones n/a dates, you hand them out and the guitard remembers more n/a's and knocks out half of your hard work - try not to repay the favour & knock him out :)