Why become a member? ×

needing a 5 string bass again, Sterling Sub or Ray 35?

Ian Davies

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1499846914' post='3333967']
The Swiss Army Knife of basses but all the ones I had were heavy.
Surprised no one has mentioned the 'M' word. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254344-the-official-maruszczyk-club/"]http://basschat.co.u...aruszczyk-club/[/url]
You'll get exactly what you want from Adrian.
[/quote]

Yes, I really like the G&L basses but too heavy.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk basses do look great and I like the idea of getting somthing just right for me but they may be a bit out of my price range, also if I did have a bit more to spend then I'd probably go with a Sandberg.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers, for all the suggestions - they are all very much appreciated![/font][/color]

The USA made SUB 5 is a fantastic bass. Not many around 'though. I had one and it was around 10.5lbs, and I suspect most are on the heavy side. I still have a SUB 4 and that thing is really heavy too, but what a bass.

The Sterling Ray35 and SUB have very very narrow string spacing at the bridge... I'd try it before going for one. I find it too narrow for my liking. They must be around 15.5 or 16...

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1499074138' post='3328911']
True - exactly why I changed from a Stingray 5 to a Sterling 4 with a Hipshot so I could go down to Low B when needed
[/quote]

The thing is that you can get to lower notes (I have them on my Stingrays, but only to low D) but I find that the 'selliing point' of a 5 string bass, for me, is the 'lateral movement'... being able to span a wide range without going up and down the neck. It allows you to play a lot of things very comfortably... and the extra few low notes sometimes are nice, but nothing more than the cherry on top. A hipshot, as nice as it is, doesn't give you that.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1499879559' post='3334291']
If weight is a concern, FWIW I've had a Ray35 which weighed a ton (probably the ash body) and the cheaper Ray4 which was very light indeed (no I didn't weight it)!
[/quote]

Yes, I'm hearing that they are heavy, so that's the Ray35 out of the runnings.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1499935156' post='3334561']

The thing is that you can get to lower notes (I have them on my Stingrays, but only to low D) but I find that the 'selliing point' of a 5 string bass, for me, is the 'lateral movement'... being able to span a wide range without going up and down the neck. It allows you to play a lot of things very comfortably... and the extra few low notes sometimes are nice, but nothing more than the cherry on top. A hipshot, as nice as it is, doesn't give you that.
[/quote]

Agreed, that's how I like to use a 5 string bass.