Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy's 'Intelligent Design' - was this a Zappa track?

musicbassman

I'm trying to trace the origins of a Snarky Puppy track called 'Intelligent Design'
I've been told it was originally a Zappa composition, but I can't trace it. Anybody know about this?
If you'd like to listen to it on YouTube, the best recording is the one done on the John Lennon mobile studio, which unfortunately has a really dodgy piece of student's video project to go with it.
Any information gratefully received! Thanks.

Thanks. I should have looked at Wikipedia first - which (if correct) says that Intelligent Design was on their 2nd album from 2007, and that all the tracks on that album were composed by Michael League. What a talented guy.
If Zappa's 'Intelligent Design' has no music, then what is it? Spoken word?

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1497536265' post='3318950']
... all the tracks on that album were composed by Michael League. What a talented guy.
[/quote]

One of my all time favorite bass players/composers. Back in the early days of Snarky Puppy ("The World is Getting Smaller" and "Bring us the Bright") Mike would meticulously write out all the parts for the tunes and distribute to the band. Now he just comes up with an idea and allows much more creative input from the rest of the band.

I really like one of his arrangement techniques for Snarky Puppy where he would record a midi file of a tune which he would send out to the band members but have every part played by a Fender Rodes so none of the band members had any concept of which part was a guitar part and which part was a horn part etc. The idea was that all members would learn every part for a tune so when they came to rehearsal sessions Mike could tell the horn players to play the "guitar part" and the keys players to play "the horn part" and they would just know it.