Why become a member? ×

Effect newb question re. loop switching - go easy with me

visog

So Effect-enabled BC'ers,

I'm new to the world of effects beyond stomping on a chorus or an octaver.

Recently I've been getting into creating echo-driven soundscapes with a looper and delays.

Currently I record these and then play over/under them.

What's standard practise to do this in real-time? I.e. disconnect from the soundscape generating effects, letting them play on whilst switching over to my Two Notes LeBass grit tone for bass/solo duties?

Would the new Boss MS-3 be good (expensive!) solution which could give me more options?

Please advise...

What's your current signal chain? Presumably all your effects are simply daisy chained together before going into your loop pedal? That's the simplest way of doing things and there's nothing wrong with it - just click on/off the effects you want or don't want before recording each overdub. Unless you have a particularly large pedalboard I doubt you need to go to the expense of buying a fancy loop switcher for your effects...

I did say I was a newb on this... I have my looper before my Triple-delay to generate content for the soundscape.

That's why even if I switch my looper out, the delay is effecting my real-time playing.

Don't worry I'm pretty much a newb myself! Been doing a lot of head scratching trying to work out my own pedalboard recently.

I suppose you could have an A/B Switch at the start of your chain (1 input and 2 switchable outputs) and have output A going though your looping/delay chain then have output B setup as a non-looping chain. You'd need a way of merging the two signals at the end though, assuming you're going into an amp. I'm in discussions with Bright Onion Pedals about making me a little mixer pedal that'll do this for my board.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but will share anyway incase it is.

I am currently using two loopers, an RC50 as my 'main' looper at the very end of my chain and a Jamman express at the start.

I use the rc50 to record the majority of my loops, usually keeping phrase 1 on constantly, and switching between phrase 2 and 3 to change sections in a song.

The jamman I use to record shorter loops, and then usually play about with effects over the top to create a longer loop that I then can capture on the rc50.

If I was to go back to just 1 looper I would probably put it at the end of my signal chain. You can always leave your delay etc on when playing over the loop, but that way you can also turn effects off/change effects when playing over a loop. This also helps when overdubbing/recording different phrases as I you can more easily keep different parts district (if you want to).