Why become a member? ×

Travel guitar build

tommorichards

This all started when i came across a picture on instagram

I loved the look of the guitar, the ply, the compactness, the shape. So i decided to build one, as cheap as possible too.

So i used all the weight i had to my disposal to glue the ply together.

Good to see the glue coming out, so i was happy. I left it overnight and then once i had traced the design from my computer screen, i transferred it to the wood and cut it out with a newly acquired bandsaw. Then used a belt sander to get it to the line. Itll get properly sanded later.

I also wanted a compact neck, and played around with a few ideas on paint, until i was happy with one. So i cut the headstock down, and sanded it ready for a decal, or not. I couldnt resist a cheeky little mockup.

The bridge is a cheap ebay one that i cut to a preferable shape, and ovalised the string through holes as ill be drilling them at an angle to allow for a better string break. And the humbucker is in the middle as it's my favourite position on a strat, but i love a good humbucker, so it'll have 3 way switching.

• 4 months later...