Why become a member? ×

Which Tuner?

phil_the_bassist

[quote name='alexharvay' post='491301' date='May 18 2009, 12:55 PM']Can anyone tell me if the Korg Pitchblack lets you set the tuning mode down a semi-tone or a full step like the TU-2?[/quote]

No, but who needs that? It's chromatic, so if you want to tune a semitone down, you'll tune so the display shows D sharp, G sharp, C sharp and F sharp and you'll know you're fine!

I got a Pitchblack recently.

Advantages compared to TU-2:
[list]
[*] true bypass (though I never noticed tone loss with the TU-2, in fact I AB'd them and couldn't tell a difference)
[*] more accurate (though I can't tell the difference either)
[*] looks
[*] bigger, easier to read display
[*] half-strobe mode
[/list]

Disadvantages:
[list]
[*] annoying one: unless you want to use the default 'needle' mode (whatever it's called), you have to keep a battery in the pedal, otherwise it won't remember you chose a different mode when you plug the power back. I prefer the half-strobe mode, so I have to keep a battery in it. Also, it will forget if you chose anything other than 440 calibration if you have no battery in (not a problem for 99% of people).
[*] no way to tune with the sound on (trade-off for it being true bypass)
[*] strobe mode and the 4th mode (can't remember name) are useless (strobe mode is actually quite good in the TU-2)
[*] if you're starting out and don't know basic music theory, TU-2 will be more helpful because it has those b, bb, bass and guitar settings that let you tune by 'numbers' instead of note names. In fact it's probably an advantage that it doesn't have those modes, you should learn the note names!!!!
[/list]

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Thanks for taking the time and posting all that information. I really appreciate it.

I've been using a TU-2 for years and never had a problem with it. I find the b and bb settings really useful, especially when on stage. I play guitar and piano as well as bass and my theory is pretty good, but I still prefer to tune by 'numbers' when it's dark and I've been jumping around a bit. (I'm sure you'll understand that theory isn't a top priority at those times). I was curious to find out why so many people are raving about the PitchBlack, so I went into the guitar shop in Brighton and spoke to a friend who works in there. He said they've had to replace a few faulty/broken PitchBlacks but he's never seen a faulty TU-2. (Not saying they don't crop up from time to time of course). Think I'll stick wit my old TU-2. Interesting to see the pros and cons though. Thanks again.

Ive been using the Korg DT4 for a couple of years now and love it.
I dont want or need a stomp box tuner so this is perfect. I guess its the same system as the Pitch Black without the switch.
Hangs out the tuner out of my Heads and sits on top so its always visible.