Why become a member? ×

Singing & Playing Bass Guitar

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490720680' post='3267390']
We gig most Fridays & Saturdays so I get a lot of practice. Being able to hear yourself in the monitors really helps.

Blue
[/quote]

You're screwed without decent monitoring, and the members of the band that like to be loud onstage generally don't have any vocal duties.

Les

I always had trouble with singing and playing guitar.

I became determined to sing a couple of songs while playing bass, my main instrument, or the songs didn't get into the set.
First of all I learned a couple, bass first and then practised singing over them, when I didn't have to concentrate on bass.
I would use a lyric cheat sheet to the side of the stage with the chords as a prop for my confidence.

Eventually, singers went etc etc and if I wanted to play various songs, I had to sing them. I have always figured that if some of the uitter bananas I have seen on a stage can do it, so can I and that realisation was a big step.

Another secret is not to pick songs that are too hard and to play them the same way consistently!
If I f*** up, we laugh at it.
I have been playing for about 40 years and the current band is the very first where I have done 95% of the lead vocals.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8e1KYVSbmI[/media]

Edited by 12stringbassist

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling at the moment - the guitar player wants to do this, and it would sound a lot better if I sang the responses (the "Hey Pocky way" bit);

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEtXT9w9AYU[/media]

It's not a hard bassline, and not a hard part to sing, but attempting to do the two together is doing my head in! I'm trying to figure out a methodical way of practicing it...