Why become a member? ×

I Saw Her Standing There

cytania

Another good chops builder for a beginner (like me). Faster than 'You Won't See Me' but similar in that there's a repeated line played at various points on the neck. You can find accurate tabs on the net or buy the 'Play Bass With The Beatles' book that includes a soundalike track, the sans bass track is a real lesson (you know when you've fluffed!) plus you can play it to anyone who can't hear what a bass adds to a band.

The repeated line starts on the A-string E note and sounds great there. On the bridges it transfers to A and B on the E-string where it's less twangy, care needed to syncopate these right. In the verse there's an A chord and fast bit all on the A string, you can ignore this when you start learning the song as the pattern in E is fine. The chorus is a root run, great fun.

Begin the line fretting with your second finger then fall back to the first for the G#, then there's a see-saw boogie motion and a drop back through A to G#. When you first try it you'll want to throw your bass down in frustration but breath out and keep working, quite quickly you should find it has a natural rhythm. Then all you need to do is get up to Beatle speed ;-)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311601' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:50 PM']WOW! Been playing it for 28 years and I never knew all that. I just play it :)[/quote]

+1, but I've been playing it since the album came out in 1963, mein gott that's 45 years.

Just for fun try pushing the changes on the run up from E, G#, A, C by a whole note.