Why become a member? ×

boss SYB-5 question

Crikey!

Hi,

I recently got a Boss SYB-5 as a gift from my gf, i tried it out last night, following all the diagrams and set up instructions just to be on the safe side... and nothing happens.

I think the problem might be in the actual switch, on other pedals ive used the switch underneath the main part of the pedal has always clicked when changing on/off, this switch doesn't click. it moves up and down but it doesnt feel like doing it's doing anything.

I've not had really any experience with this kinda thing so i just wanted to check it's not something really obvious that i'm missing. I'm not keen on taking it apart in case i void any warranty it might have.

So if you could let me know if its broken or if i'm stupid, that'd be extremely helpful. I'm gona take it down to the guitar shop tomorrow and get them to have a look at it.

Only problem is she bought it off ebay, though the box does have a soundcontrol label on it...

Ben

Sorry if i'm pointing out the obvious, but are you using it with a universal ac adapter? If so the polarity might be the wrong way round. I think it should be tip negative (my syb3 is)

Otherwise probably best to contact the seller before having it looked at elsewhere, might be a problem if you have to return it

A NEW TWIST

it's definitely broken, its also not covered by the warranty.

new dilemma. Do i pay to get it fixed or do i get a refund and get a new one? either way i end up spending more money, but im considering the repair as it only cost £50 to start with.

anyone had any experience with Boss when it comes to repairs?

Ben

What is the exact way it doesn't work -

Does the light come on when you press the switch?
Does it pass signal at all, in bypass?

If it doesn't power up at all, or if it doesn't pass signal in bypass, it's more likely to be something on the power or analog side of the circuitry and more likely to be fixable (though still not a certainty).

If it works except that nothing happens when the effect is on, it's more likely to be something in the digital side and less likely to be fixable, or at least not for much less than just buying another one.

Either diagnosis could be wrong depending on exactly what is faulty, too! :)

Edited by Thunderhead

it lights up when it's on and it works as a bypass, but there is no effect, it doesnt switch between the two it just bypasses the effect and the light stays on.

it was bought off ebay a few months ago by my girlfriend, she had no way of testing it so we didnt find out it was faulty til the other day. is there a time limit on ebay returns?

im assuming because it was sold as "perfect condition" and its turned up faulty, i should be entitled to a refund.

You are actually plugging into the correct output yes? There are 2 outputs, using one of them gives bypass when off, and effect on when on - if something is plugged into output B, that jack outputs a constant dry signal regardless of the state of the pedal. Which is what it sounds like yours is doing. Just thought i'd point that out just in case...