Why become a member? ×

Warwick neck on ebay

As soon as I see this 5 string Warwick neck on ebay, I have this slight twinge about buying it and sticking it on my Rockbass. But I think I'm OK with what I have.

Wouldn't it also turn my bass into a counterfeit, as the headstock is the only place it says "Rockbass" on mine. Everything else says "Warwick". :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260300338257"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260300338257[/url]

Edited by Annoying Twit

My thoughts were that it might be a better bass neck, not that I wanted to pass the bass off as something it wasn't.

I've read that the bolts may be in a different location, but this neck doesn't seem to have bolt pilot holes yet, so presumably that will be irrelevant.

I'm thinking about it, but must admit I'm thinking that equipment is not my highest priority now, playing is.

I dropped my Warwick Jazzman 5-string a while back - the truss rod ended up slipping within the nut, and the neck was written off. To get the neck replaced, with the set up, was a cool £295 (thank God for insurance).
Thus this neck seems quite a bargain. In fact I may bid just in case I drop it again (not really!)

They did say however that they wouldn't release the new neck until they had the old one back - there were quite a few counterfeit basses being made up with genuine necks!!!

All in all I'd say if you can get it for £40 or so, then go for it if you reckon you can fit it, and set it up properly. Just take care, apparently these necks are easily broken :)

Cheers,

Stu.

I read up on things and some people had some difficulties with minimal truss rods. . Someone advised me that it's not a good idea to start modding a bass etc. when you've only got one bass. As if you £&£% it up, then you've got no bass!

So, not for now. But maybe some other time.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='308233' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:48 PM']I read up on things. Someone advised me that it's not a good idea to start modding a bass etc. when you've only got one bass. As if you £&£% it up, then you've got no bass!

So, not for now. But maybe some other time.[/quote]

There are good and bad mods. As long as the guitar wasn't too valuable to begin with then replacement necks or bridges are fair enough. On the other hand crazy paintjobs and half-arsed wood working jobs are a bad idea if you ever want to sell.

Went for £200...

I've got three of those sitting in my bedroom (one shortscale, one fretted and good, one which I've removed the frets from which has a bit of a twist in) which were eventually maybe going to go onto projects. At that price I think I'd be better off selling them, I could get half a Shuker for that... :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='311332' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:24 PM']Went for £200...

I've got three of those sitting in my bedroom (one shortscale, one fretted and good, one which I've removed the frets from which has a bit of a twist in) which were eventually maybe going to go onto projects. At that price I think I'd be better off selling them, I could get half a Shuker for that... :)[/quote]

Yes, I saw how much it sold for. Since my entire bass cost me £120, that would be some proportionally expensive neck upgrade. There have been many posts discussing why Warwicks don't sell for what they're worth. Does this mean that it's the other parts of the basses that are dragging the price down?