Why become a member? ×

SOLD
£600

The GroovyPlucker

LAST PRICE DROP £500+£15 UK Shipping (Gassing after another Bass on here)

Up for sale or trade is my beloved Fender Jazz Modern Player V 5 string bass.

£575 + £15 for insured shipping to U.K. only. Overseas can contact me but I think postage cost will be high and thus prohibitive.
This is a lot of Bass for the money!!!!!!

Only reason for letting go, which is reluctantly, is that my wee small hands have found it less easy to fly around the neck, so going back to two 4 strings, one tuned down, short scale too, so trade wise would be looking a Fender Mustang, possibly the new one with the PJ pick up configuration, alternatively a Pawn Shop Mustang, Squier Mikey Way Mustang, Squier Chris Aiken or possibly a Squier Classic Vibe 70's Bass, or any Fender 4 string, preferably a Precision. Some of the aforementioned models would require cash supplements either way. ONLY INTERESTED IN FENDERS FOR TRADE.

The Modern Player is in superb condition, never gigged. Have a Hard Case for it (Generic, Non Fender).

This Bass has so much variety of tone to dial in from it's 4-way selector alone, it's, imo, a Precision and a Jazz in one. Don't be fooled by the Made in China bit, this is superbly built and is as good as any Japanese model I've played, is very similar in finish to MIJ models.

Here's some specs from the web.

[b] Here's what Fender say about the Modern Player Jazz Bass Satin V[/b]

[color=#231F20][size=4]The Modern Player Jazz Bass returns in a fivestring model with a new look and even greater tonal versatility from its powerful pair of humbucking pickups. A satin finish imparts a smoothly elegant air, and a convenient new four position rotary pickup selector switch delivers a potent quartet of pickup combinations (full middle and bridge pickups, full middle pickup and bridge pickup outer coil, full bridge pickup and middle pickup outer coil, outer coil of both pickups). Other features include an alder body, maple neck with "C"-shaped profile, 9.5"-radius maple (Black model) or rosewood (Olympic White and Two-color Sunburst models) fingerboard with 20 jumbo frets and easy-access truss rod adjustment wheel, redesigned Modern Player Jazz Bass humbucking pickups, single-ply black pickguard and vintage-style black plastic control knobs (two volume and master tone), and five saddle Fender Hi-Mass bridge. Available in Satin Black, Satin Olympic White and Satin Two-color Sunburst..[/size][/color]
[b] Specifcation[/b][list]
[*]Series: Modern Player
[*]Body Wood: Alder
[*]Body Finish: Satin Polyester
[*]Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
[*]Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
[*]String Nut: Synthetic Bone, 1.875" (47.6)
[*]Fingerboard: Rosewood on (503, 505), Maple on (506), 9.5" (241 mm) Radius
[*]Frets: 20 Jumbo
[*]Position Inlays: White Dot on (503, 505), Black Dot on (506)
[*]Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
[*]Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
[*]Bridge: 5-Saddle Fender Hi-Mass
[*]Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
[*]Tuning Machines: Standard Open-Gear (4 Over/1 Under)
[*]Strings: NPS, (.045-.125 Gauges)
[*]Pickup Configuration: H/H
[*]Pickups: Modern Player Humbucking Jazz Bass (Bridge), Modern Player Humbucking Jazz Bass (Middle)
[*]Pickup Switching: 4-Position Rotary: 1. Midde/Bridge Pickups, 2. Middle Pickup/Outer Coil Bridge Pickup, 3. Bridge Pickup/Outer Coil Middle Pickup, 4. Outer Coil of Middle/Outer Coil of Bridge Pickup
[*]Controls: Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master
[*]Other Features: Heel-Mounted Spoke Wheel Truss Rod Adjustment
[/list]

Edited by The GroovyPlucker

Hi,

I don't think so, but they're incredibly hard to find, and as with all Fenders they gain value, I do believe it's worth every penny, obviously I'd like to get as much as poss for it, without stinging anyone on the way, would be interested to hear peoples views on it as there's very few of them out there to compare with, pricewise that is,

Thanks

Mark

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' timestamp='1479934528' post='3180457']
I don't think so, but they're incredibly hard to find, and as with all Fenders they gain value, I do believe it's worth every penny, obviously I'd like to get as much as poss for it, without stinging anyone on the way, would be interested to hear peoples views on it as there's very few of them out there to compare with, pricewise that is.
[/quote]

I wasn't going to comment, but you specifically requested comparisons... I sold a white one earlier this year for less money than this to find my Dingwall Super J, and it had some very premium upgrades including a J-Retro Deluxe, a custom tort guard, Hipshot string retainer and Warwick adjustable brass nut. I probably underpriced it as it went within an hour, but that was with a £200 pre and £100 of hardware on it.

There has been a four string sold on Basschat, for price comparison, accessible through search.

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' timestamp='1479934528' post='3180457']
Hi,

I don't think so, but they're incredibly hard to find, and as with all Fenders they gain value, I do believe it's worth every penny, obviously I'd like to get as much as poss for it, without stinging anyone on the way, would be interested to hear peoples views on it as there's very few of them out there to compare with, pricewise that is,

Thanks

Mark
[/quote]

They are not hard to find at all. Even if they were hard to find Rare does not always = Worth more. They are a very recent mass produced cheapest Fender Jazz bass and Made in China. Granted they were alright basses. But I struggled to sell my 4 string for more then £300.

Looking at the most recently Sold listing for Modern Player Jazz's on Ebay. The Most expensive one sold was a brand new one for £455.

Edited by Shockwave

No worries, thanks for the responses, I'll reassess this sale, not giving it away for nowt obviously, this is a quality Bass no matter what's said about cheapest mass produced (sure they're all mass produced), it's also quite a unique Bass in it's application, has to be heard to be believed.......still wanting a good Mustang for trade....surely someone has a Pawn Shop or Jap Mustang for trade somewhere............all for now,

Cheers

Mark