Why become a member? ×

Installing A Delano MM type pick up

alembic1989

Hi,
I have a bass currently fitted with 2 bartolini soapbars, and an EMG BQ3 preamp system (with mid sweep control).
I want to replace the bridge pick up with a Delano Music Man type . Is it simply a question of pulling the old Bart out and replacing it with a delano (After routing to correct size)..or is there something I am overlooking??

Edited by alembic1989

[quote name='alembic1989' post='304887' date='Oct 12 2008, 04:45 PM']Hi,
I have a bass currently fitted with 2 bartolini soapbars, and an EMG BQ3 preamp system (with mid sweep control).
I want to replace the bridge pick up with a Delano Music Man type . Is it simply a question of pulling the old Bart out and replacing it with a delano (After routing to correct size)..or is there something I am overlooking??[/quote]

As long as both pickup types have the same number of wires then yes it's that simple. Some pickups have coil taps which means there are 4 wires not 2 but even then it's still simple to fit.

make sure you are routing for the Delano pickup and not just a standard MM shape. I've discovered at least one brand of generic but commonly supplied MM pickup case won't actually retro-fit a stingray because the corners are too sharp on the newer pickup casing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='305261' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:12 AM']make sure you are routing for the Delano pickup and not just a standard MM shape. I've discovered at least one brand of generic but commonly supplied MM pickup case won't actually retro-fit a stingray because the corners are too sharp on the newer pickup casing.[/quote]

Many thanks gentlemen